The mouse that beat cancer.

nelg

Veteran
The mouse that beat cancer.

In 1999 scientists discovered a mutant mouse with the ability to ward off aggressive cancers. Bred with a female, this mighty mouse passed on his cancer resistance to roughly 40 percent of his offspring. No matter how many times the researchers challenged the immune systems of these mice with levels of cancer cells millions of times stronger than those lethal to regular mice, they proved incapable of developing cancer. Now investigators have found that normal mice injected with white blood cells from cancer-resistant mice become resistant themselves.

I'd heard of these mice previously and I knew they'd lead to something big.

It seems the tides are now beginning to turn in the war against cancer.(And don't kid yourselfs, such resistance exists in humans too. My great grandmother was a nonstop heavysmoker, 90+years free of cancer with full blown mental and physical faculties, she died due to a fracture-related-surgery in a third-world country... you can imagine what a third-world country's medicine would be like, especially so many decades ago.).

Let's just hope big-pharma doesn't decide to interfere with current and future research in this field.

no doubt there are some people immune to cancer. though they aren't trapped in a lab...yet.

and if one of them is me (no cancer in my family...full of smokers (NC)) you'd have to pay me a ginormous wad of dough to interest me in 'helping'.

Back