The Gathering 2005: Organized Chaos

While normal people in Norway use the Easter holiday as an opportunity to enjoy skiing in the mountains, this year 5,200 computer freaks barricaded themselves within the Olympic ice skating arena, The Vikingship. The arena lies in the small town of Hamar, one hour south east of Lillehammer - host to the 1994 Olympics - and two hours north of Oslo, the nation's capital.

For a while now, The Gathering (TG) has been competing with Dream Hack in Sweden for the title of World's Largest LAN Party. Last year The Gathering won the title, but then Dream Hack struck back again and regained it. This year, the organizers of The Gathering thought that 5,200 participants ought to be enough and decided to stop competing for the title.

Read More: The Gathering 2005: Organized Chaos

----------------------------------------

Hell ye!! I would've loved to have been at this event.

US :D

Gods that sounds like a blast to me, one of these days I'll give myself a three day vacation and pack up and go to one of them. 8)

biggest LAN i ever been to was some 70 people and that was blast...cant imagine something like this...meeeeehhhhh.......

me wanna....
k1ocray.gif

I attended a few years ago. I don't think it was that much of a blast, but I also heard that year was one of the worse. There was lots of network problems and no really interesting competitions (gaming or programming) as far as I was concerned. Furthermore, the whole thing is really exhausting. I got just a few hours of sleep in five days. All in all, it was worth it, but I haven't felt like going back. Maybe if I was more of a hardcore competitive gamer...

The biggest LAN I went to was a 1000 man LAN in SA two years ago. There's a regular monthly LAN venue here that gathers around 250+ people every month .. and that is usually a blast.

US

Maybe not a lost cause Mendel .. they did mention in the article that when the organisers chose another group than the one selected for this one they had a bad LAN. The guys that ran this Gathering apparently did a very good job.

I've seen the same thing happen here in SA. When the comps/LANS were run by unorganised people the LAN's were crap ... getting in people who know what they doing and the LAN turns out awesomely.

US

Back