The 25 Greatest PCs of All Time (by PC World)

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,126692-page,14-c,systems/article.html

The list is...

PC World's list of the top 25 PCs of all time was assembled after we polled our editors for nominations. We then rated the nominated gadgets for innovation, impact, industrial design, and intangibles. Here are the results. (For more on our 25 Greatest PCs project, see the full story.)

I would have thought the Mac should collect top hours, it's lineage introduced the world to windowed operating systems, proper 32-bit RGBA colour and a 32-bit expansions bus to name a few while the PC world were still learning to bash each other with bones before a mysterious black obelisk...

I scoff at their leaving the C64 off the greatest list. Near greatest is not good enough.

Its certainly more useful having it on the greatest list than the 10 different PC clones they have on there.

Apple ][! Woot!

Made my first professional computer bucks jockeying one of those.

The problem I see here is how they define greatness . In some cases they make it clear that it has nothing to do with firsts or neccesarily being cutting edge , but having a great impact on the industry and the way things are done or percieved . What is interesting is that in other situations some on their list seem to be there strictly for technical reasons or being first , including computers released this year :rolleyes: which obviously have had no time to be great influences yet . Some computers only meet some of the criteria they set and some which meet all are left out .Because of the differences in their criteria in practice computers like the C64 and Vic 20 are not on the list , what is however very funny is that they shuld have made it on for all possible reasons , massive impact , good technology and of course plenty were sold .

Well the biggest impact that particular laptop had was when some reporter mistakening thought that the demo version only had a DVD drive.

I agree that with the Vic 20 and C64 being left off thats a bit a joke. Also while back in the day OEM computers were the best, I think you can custom build much nicer ones yourself. At least with desktop computers anyways. I personally cant stand OEM computers, bloody rubbish(the vast majority that is peddled in shops here.)

Notice no computers like ENIAC(sp?) either?

Back