Suns CEO: "Merge Microsoft with Intel"

EndR

Regular
Sun Microsystems CEO Scott McNealy is in Sweden at the moment. Apparently he is on a "world tour"...

During an interview, he said that people are getting fed up buying Intels hardware separated from MS software and suggested that they both should merge and establish a "System-enterprise". He said that the biz is going into some heavy consolidations with the recent merger between Alcatel and Lucent, an "MS+Intel" Merger would be something "interesting and along the lines on what is happening at the moment".

(source)
http://www.n24.se/dynamiskt/nyheter/did_12289027.asp
(warning: it´s in swedish)
---------

Is such a merger possible? The worlds leading software company with the worlds leading chip-manufacturer, it sounds like its impossible, anti-trust wise.

But if possible, what could be the consequences?

Last edited by a moderator:
booomups said:
why?? they're like an unmarried couple already, so why not take the next step?

You're not familiar with management and marketing, right? That monster would rule the world and take the last bite of food from our hungry children's mouth, just pure condensed evil. It's already bad enough as it is.

_xxx_ said:
You're not familiar with management and marketing, right? That monster would rule the world and take the last bite of food from our hungry children's mouth, just pure condensed evil. It's already bad enough as it is.

yeah, thats what i mean, would be good for them (managment and marketing wise).

but would have been alot better 1,2 or 3 years ago, image wise.

I thought Sun sells Sparc + Solaris, AMD + Solaris and AMD + Linux. and they are wishing for a more monolithic, monopolystic wintel solution? :)
doesn't make sense to me.

If a merger were to ever be realized, the overhead associated with runnning the new companies (oops!, company) would be so insane it would take forever for a project to get off the ground and would be probably too expensive to even propose one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you know how that works - lay off loads of people calling it "restructuring", higher revenues reached, shares go through the roof, all is well.

_xxx_ said:
Well you know how that works - lay off loads of people calling it "restructuring", higher revenues reached, shares go through the roof, all is well.

Heh, what could go wrong? :LOL:

_xxx_ said:
Although I think Microsoft could easily swallow Intel in a few years if they really wanted to.
I rather think Microsoft is actively driving the PC platform into a wall at the moment (DRM, the Direct3D 10 divide, the majority of PC games are broken multiplatform crap now thanks to the effects of the XBox and its successor) ... and they won't get out of this totally unscathed. I hope.

But DRM will be everywhere, from PC (all OS's AFAIK) down to the cheapest CD-player, so at least there, M$ is not alone.

_xxx_ said:
But DRM will be everywhere, from PC (all OS's AFAIK) down to the cheapest CD-player, so at least there, M$ is not alone.
I wouldn't say it will be everywhere. It will probably appear in a lot of places. And it will cost lots of people lots of money. And then it will go away and we'll all rub our heads and wonder wtf happened.

The fundamental problem is that noone in their right mind wants DRM. Even the unsuspecting Joe who buys into the spin at first will eventually find out that he absolutely, never again, wants a device with DRM, after he has used one for three months or so. Ever talked to someone who had used iTunes and later had to reinstall their OS? The irony is that exactly the same people who might be susceptible to positive marketing spin on DRM are also susceptible to catching something that causes them to require an OS reinstallation, because, well, they don't know much about what's going on on their computers.

Or as I see you live in Germany, too, you probably noticed how much of a running gag "HDMI" has become around these parts, and how pissed off the early adopters of "HDTV" devices are now.

In the long run my prediction is that only the people without DRM will be making revenue. I'll be watching.

I agree with you completely, but I still think the corporations will succeed to force it on us this way or the other. And all the not-so-in-the-know (l)users will eventually go with it I think, since these usually are not willing to fight.

Back