Stop! Rumour Time: Ocworkbench says ASUS to Acquire Gigabyte

Farid

Artist formely known as Vysez
Veteran
Supporter
http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/newspro/viewnews.cgi?newsid1154711535,21929
It seems that yr 2006 is the year of merger. Lately, I heard news from various source that there is a possibility of a merger between the two mainboard giants. A friend of mine who also heard this news told me that there will be an announcement on 7 Aug (Monday).

Until formal announcements are made, I will just brush it off as another rumour.

Rumors are like STDs, they need to be spread. Or something.

whhhaaaaaat? This strikes me as terrible news, after my last experience with Asus left me feeling they're on their way down, and gigabyte's generally on their way up... :/ I hope this one falls through. :( Why can't MSI own the world, like Asus? ;_;

What does Gigabyte have that Asus wants (and can't do themselves)? Seems like this is the simple elimination of a competitor to me.

Ratchet said:
What does Gigabyte have that Asus wants (and can't do themselves)? Seems like this is the simple elimination of a competitor to me.

Maybe they want to face "the giant" (A.K.A., Foxconn/Leadtek/Hon Hai).
Such an aqquisition would place Asus in a much more confortable position.

I sure as hell hope not. Asus suck.

They just make sure their hardware 'works', regardless of how it actually performs, whack a sticker on it, and up the RRP by $200. God I hate them more than anyone else.

I think Asus has been producing ever better high end boards while they're low end has been taking a real dive. Though they're Asrock division has really been putting out great and innovative motherboards for bargin prices, I'm going to be picking up my second Asrock board soon, $55 and more upgrade routes than you can shack a stick at.

As for Gigabyte, I've felt they're going up in the world too. I dont want to see them go, as competition is always good. To me the move seems just focused on taking one guy out to go at another. Which never settles well in my stomach.

Damn hope not, Gigabyte are generally not good overclocking boards but they are rock stable good quality.
Though I have never had a problem with Asus. Asrock maybe innovative but it is complete shite.

The rumor mill can be stopped for now. Asus will not be devouring Gigabyte. They have rather invested in them.
Asustek Computer and Gigabyte Technology, two Taiwan-based motherboard manufacturers, announced on August 8 the establishment of a joint venture to produce "Gigabyte" branded motherboard and graphics cards.

[...]

With capacity support from Asustek, Gigabyte is expected to lower its production costs to compete against Elitegroup Computer Systems (ECS) and Micro-Star International (MSI), and avoid the potential of being acquired by Foxconn Electronics (the registered trade name of Hon Hai Precision Industry), which had sought ways to negotiate an merger with Gigabyte, according to industry sources. Asustek's monthly capacity for motherboards expanded to 20 million units in 2005
Source: Digitimes.

Damn hope not, Gigabyte are generally not good overclocking boards but they are rock stable good quality.
Though I have never had a problem with Asus. Asrock maybe innovative but it is complete shite.

Asus boards arent much better. They seem to of let their quality go to hell when they really started to get popular. I wont ever buy another Asus product after that Nforce abomination.

Back