Stop Me From Killing Again!

Dresden

Celebrating Mediocrity
Veteran
As of late I've received quite a few "cyclic redundancy" errors mid install for some games I was installing. Now, these were all on copied cds, and I'm wondering which it is: the cd or the game? I've gotten this error before, and it usually resulted in a remorseless, solid yanking of the drive from my IDE slot, followed by a slam dunk into the garbage. Then a new drive was purchased. But now that I think about it, I may have been going about things incorrectly....

So which is it?

Thanks fellas-

Norton

As of late I've received quite a few "cyclic redundancy" errors mid install for some games I was installing. Now, these were all on copied cds, and I'm wondering which it is: the cd or the game? I've gotten this error before, and it usually resulted in a remorseless, solid yanking of the drive from my IDE slot, followed by a slam dunk into the garbage. Then a new drive was purchased. But now that I think about it, I may have been going about things incorrectly....

So which is it?

Thanks fellas-

Norton

Could be either. CRC's on copied CD's usually means a badly burned disc, or one that just won't read back with your particular reading drive. You might find it's scratched there. Try downloading CD-DVD Speed and run the quality test on the disc.

Your results may or may not be too useful depending how fully your drive reports errors.

I'm thinking the CD-R/Ws are fading

Did you record these copies at the highest speeds supported by your disc writer? Are they quality or the cheapest available? Were they stored properly? Can you try with original copies? Can you try by copying the CD copy image to your HD and then using something like Virtual Daemon to install from your HD?

I've had some cheap CDs go bad quite quickly. Dunno what the deal is with writable CDs and DVDs nowadays, but 5 years ago I knew to aim for CD-Rs that were made in Japan (Taiyo Yuden, IIRC) over ones made in Taiwan (namely, I bought only Fujifilm CD-Rs, though now not all of them are made in Japan).

The condition of these cds is ATROCIOUS. I may as well toss them into my storage by firing them there from my handgun. I may have made this thread a bit prematurely.... now that I think of it, I seem to remember cd 2 for KOTOR, the game I was installing to have some issues last time I tried to install it. In fact I had to recopy cd 2 from the original..... BUT alas this thread isn't in vain. I know for a fact F.E.A.R, a game I own that's an original, did have a similar problem a few nights ago, the condition of that cd is unknown, I'll check it later. I merely switched drives and reinstalled it with no problems. Any advice for prolonging the longevity of drives? For some reason I tend to CHEW through optical drives.

Can you try by copying the CD copy image to your HD and then using something like Virtual Daemon to install from your HD?

That is...an AWESOME idea. Thank you Pete.

QUESTION!!!

How do I use Daemon tools to replicate the CD. It's the second disc, so how would i go about loading the data via daemon tools whence asked to insert the second cd?

If you can't specify the path so you have to load both from the same drive, then just make an image of both CDs. Switching CD is just a matter of unmounting the first image and then mounting the second one.

As for quality of CD/DVD drives. My first CD-rom was a Pioneer. I never had any problems with it. Between that drive and my current one (also a Pioneer and problem free) I had a whole bunch of different drives. They all had frequent problems. One drive had problems already right after I bought it, the others worked fine initially but would get progressively worse over a year or so.

You can use CloneCD, works like a charm. And maybe you could clean the lens of your CD-drive too, with a q-tip or somesuch.

Back