Solar Eclipse

London's due heavy cloud so you probably wouldn't have seen it anyway. I'm in the midlands so at least will have a chance where cloud cover is only partial.

ITS ON FRIDAY (march 20th)
Sorry didnt mention that (it is in the link though)

Last edited:
so how do you see it? point a camera at it? (does it burns kamera sensor?)
can i wear pinhole glasses to see it?

the traditional way to see it is going to river and see the reflection. but river is far and dirty nowadays :(

so how do you see it? point a camera at it? (does it burns kamera sensor?)
can i wear pinhole glasses to see it?

the traditional way to see it is going to river and see the reflection. but river is far and dirty nowadays :(

This is the official way of doing it: http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/make-pinhole-projector.html

But it's rather boring if you ask me, may as well just watch it on TV if you're going to do that. For the last total eclipse I used a welding mask which was perfect. Unfortunately I don't have access to one this time so I'm thinking maybe 2 pairs of sunglasses and squinting. I'll let you know if I am blind on Saturday.

how about a camera? can it simply used to take potograph? maybe with uber-fast shutter mode? 1/2000 or something....

btw @pjbliverpool

The Royal College of Ophthalmologists says there is no safe method for most of the public to look at an eclipse directly - even using dark filters such as sunglasses or through equipment such as cameras, binoculars or telescopes.

EDIT
btw my camera is wireless. So i can frame it while seeing it from a windows tablet. Safely, without exposing my eyes to the sun.

but how safe is it for the camera itself?

EDIT2:
it seems you need ND filter to safely take photograph. Those with NOKIA 808! It already have built-in, electronically adjusable, ND Filter :D

Last edited:
You can't burn a camera sensor with the Sun so don't worry :) But I'd say 1/2000 shutter speed won't make the cut. You probably need much faster than that if you don't have a filter.

Don't you guys have old camera film lying around? I used them as a filter as a kid, and so did everyone I knew

to b3d readers in the u.s the solar eclipse is around 3 am so don't forget to set your alarm clocks I wouldn't want you guys to miss it :D
From the US, here's a polite pair of middle fingers
finger2.gif
:D

Don't you guys have old camera film lying around? I used them as a filter as a kid, and so did everyone I knew
What's a camera film? Is it a movie? How a movie can be used as a filter? Can I use my phone instead? It got camera and can record film....

Sorry, I meant photographic film there... Hold it in front of your eyes. Presto.

Everyone who has a smartphone or tablet with a front facing camera can use that as a safe 'mirror', to look over your own shoulder at the sun as it were - as your camera picks up the sunlight but then displays it on your screen, which can never blind you. I'm thinking about using my iPad.

Clouds here are not letting up, but they are getting an eery color.

Last edited:
Had a perfect view here in Stoke, almost no cloud coverage. I was struggling to improvise something to view it with when I stumbled upon the effect 2 pairs of 3D glasses have when put together - basically they black everything out which just happens to be absolutely perfect for viewing he sun directly.

Back