So why arn't C2D's suffering electromigration deaths?

Given most online enthusiests are overvolting and pushing these to within mere MHz of orthos/folding failure for 24/7 operation, which well exceeds Intels thermal specs on anything less than the absolute best of air cooling or a decent water setup, why are we not starting to see electromigration induced failure in the overclocking community?

I have memories of very knowlegable people debating (at forums such as Aces or RWT) that as process geometries continue to shrink overclocking would die out due to diminishing returns and the ever increasing fragility of the metal interconnects.

Were they wrong?

The systems are still within the Intel thermal specifications. If they weren't within the thermal specs, the cpus would throttle down to manage the heat output. They even run cooler than most base retail systems since everyone is running top-end AIR or Water cooling.

As for electromigration, it's effect might cut the CPU lifetime in half, even with that, cutting down from 10 years still leaves 5 years left.

CPUs today are only meant to have 10 years of useful life?

Sounds very fishy. I thought solid-state devices would have much more endurance than that!
Pewace.

heating and power consumption is still a huge factor in electronics lifetime, and things get a lot more sensitive at the sub-100nm scale. ;)

I think there have been some deaths, or at least some losses of overclockability. People pushing 1.60v thru them.

Go browse around the Xtremesystems.org forum.

I remember that Northwoods were very sensitive. The OC'ers coined it "sudden Northwood death syndrome" SNDS. LOL

Back