Small Biz AV/AS/FW solution recs?

Mize

3dfx Fan
Legend
I'm entirely unsatisfied with my Sophos Small Business Edition Anti-virus solution (slow, stuff gets through, centralized monitors doesn't talk to half the computers because I use Linux/Samba, etc.).

It's up for renewal in January so now's the time to start shopping. I'm looking for recommendations for solid AV, anti-spyware, and a firewall. The corp has a hardware firewall (of course), but I like OS/application firewalls just in case someone gets something from a CD or encrypted file that tries to phone home.

Kaspersky is good (I run it at home), but no firewall in the "Business Optimal" product. It also supports Linux (most of our servers are SLES).

F-Secure is supposed to be fast, but I know little about it.

Checkpoint/ZoneAlarm - I have this on our sales team laptops and it seems to be quite the resource hog. I'd hate to see what it would do to a 800 MHz Duron in customer service...

F-Secure is supposed to be fast, but I know little about it.
I like their SMB-solution F-Secure Anti-Virus Client Security. It does consume a fair bit of RAM, but is unnoticeable in day-to-day use and doesn't slow down everything else. In my experience, trouble free once it is deployed. Easy to set up in both standalone and remote managed modes. The firewall settings can be a bit more cumbersome than I like in some instances, but it's powerful. I haven't tried their current Linux client solutions, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just heard that they (F-Secure) outsourced their support from Europe to Malaysia back in May and that it's gone to complete shite ever since. I'm on EST and the new support is GMT+7 or some crap and not 24/7. So bad that our former parent company is trying to get out of their license.

Bummer as I hear it's a great product.

NOD32 is my fav AV so far. I've tried Bitdefender, Avast, AVG, Norton, McAfee. NOD32 is very fast at realtime scanning and is frugal on memory usage. It doesn't appreciably slow puters down from what I've experienced.

NOD32 is my fav AV so far. I've tried Bitdefender, Avast, AVG, Norton, McAfee. NOD32 is very fast at realtime scanning and is frugal on memory usage. It doesn't appreciably slow puters down from what I've experienced.

Does it handle spyware and have a firewall (particularly outgoing application firewall to stop phone home trojans)?

Back