Saying good bye to a great man.

Jack Kilby died on tuesday June 20 2005.

If you don't know who Jack Kilby is then, here it is. He is the inverter of the IC (intergrated circuit). This gainned him a Nobel prize and the title of invention of the century. He is the one that made everything that we do and discuss here even possable. Can you imagen a world with out the IC? I can't. I was luck to have met him a couple of times over lunch talk about what he did and discuss what his invention has done and learnd alot from him.
http://www.ti.com/corp/docs/kilbyctr/jackstclair.shtml

Heres to Jack Kilby and what he has given us.

{Sniping}Waste said:
Can you imagen a world with out the IC?
I suppose it would be mostly like the way things were in the 60s.

Heres to Jack Kilby and what he has given us.
Yeah, three cheers for this man - though the invention would of course have been made by somebody else sooner or later. After all, if you can put one transistor on a piece of silicon, it kind of follows that you can put a bunch of 'em together too. :)

tombstone.gif

I feel I personally owe a rather large dept to the man, my prayers go out to his family and friends as well as a few private ones for Mr. Kilby himself.

R.I.P., and thank you.

Not to downplay his achievements, but JK was generally recognized as the co-inventer of the IC.

Kilby was also humble. When interviewed by EE Times in 2000, he was quick to point out that former Fairchild scientist Robert Noyce, who applied for an IC patent July 30, 1959, had developed an IC design that turned out to be more manufacturable than his and could have merited a Nobel prize as well.

Though TI and Fairchild sparred for some years over who invented the IC, today many consider Kilby and Noyce both co-inventors.

Nice article here:

http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=164901506&pgno=1

"In my opinion, there are only a handful of people whose works have truly transformed the world and the way we live in it -- Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, the Wright Brothers and Jack Kilby," said Tom Engibous, chairman of Texas Instruments, in a statement. "If there was ever a seminal invention that transformed not only our industry but our world, it was Jack's invention of the first integrated circuit."

Kilby was a known as man of few words, but is remembered fondly by friends and associates as both a gentleman and gentle man. Standing 6 feet 6 inches high, he was occasionally called the "gentle giant" in the press.

But Kilby was not afraid to raise his voice on issues near and dear to his heart.

Upon receiving the Nobel prize in physics in 2000, Kilby, in an interview with EE Times, decried what he thought was the disturbing industry trend to tie research into rapid commercialization.

"I see two roles, and I think they're both very valuable," Kilby said during the interview. "Much of what we do has a very strong academic basis. [But] sometimes corporate research is required [so it can be] put into useable form and commercialized."

"Jack Kilby was always an engineer's engineer," said Gordon Moore, co-founder and chairman emeritus of Intel, in a statement. "He remained true to his technical roots, loyal to the principles of science and was always a gentleman to those who had the pleasure to meet him. He will be missed."

PC-Engine said:
Not to downplay his achievements, but JK was generally recognized as the co-inventer of the IC.

Kilby was also humble. When interviewed by EE Times in 2000, he was quick to point out that former Fairchild scientist Robert Noyce, who applied for an IC patent July 30, 1959, had developed an IC design that turned out to be more manufacturable than his and could have merited a Nobel prize as well.

Though TI and Fairchild sparred for some years over who invented the IC, today many consider Kilby and Noyce both co-inventors.

Nice article here:

http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=164901506&pgno=1

"In my opinion, there are only a handful of people whose works have truly transformed the world and the way we live in it -- Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, the Wright Brothers and Jack Kilby," said Tom Engibous, chairman of Texas Instruments, in a statement. "If there was ever a seminal invention that transformed not only our industry but our world, it was Jack's invention of the first integrated circuit."

Kilby was a known as man of few words, but is remembered fondly by friends and associates as both a gentleman and gentle man. Standing 6 feet 6 inches high, he was occasionally called the "gentle giant" in the press.

But Kilby was not afraid to raise his voice on issues near and dear to his heart.

Upon receiving the Nobel prize in physics in 2000, Kilby, in an interview with EE Times, decried what he thought was the disturbing industry trend to tie research into rapid commercialization.

"I see two roles, and I think they're both very valuable," Kilby said during the interview. "Much of what we do has a very strong academic basis. [But] sometimes corporate research is required [so it can be] put into useable form and commercialized."

"Jack Kilby was always an engineer's engineer," said Gordon Moore, co-founder and chairman emeritus of Intel, in a statement. "He remained true to his technical roots, loyal to the principles of science and was always a gentleman to those who had the pleasure to meet him. He will be missed."

All the things about who Jack Kilby was Is right on the money. When I meet and talked to him, he was very kind and gentle man and yes he is very tall ( I didn't put a tape on him but to me he look about 6,6 to 6,8).

My AC couse instroctor at Richland collage in Dallas was Jack assistant when he worked for TI and that how I meet Jack Kilby. Just talking with him told me he was a very humble man and not a fame seeker. He was a real engineer type that wanted to find new thing not for the money but to see if its possable to do. There are so few like him and he will be missed.

"In my opinion, there are only a handful of people whose works have truly transformed the world and the way we live in it -- Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, the Wright Brothers and Jack Kilby,"

Don't want to be a jackass here, but all these people are Americans.

Anyways, peace out to the IC dude.

Edison was a thief, crook and liar also. Nicolai Tesla came up with far more important discoveries, like the radio (no, it wasn't Marconi, fro what I read he "borrowed" the idea, just like Edison was fond of doing), AC electricity, the transformer, at least one type of electric motor, and many other things.

Tesla may have been a loonie, but at least he was an honest loonie! :)

Back