S-ATA DVD-writer coming soon?

According to a norwegian hardware site, Plextor is about to release a DVD-writer which has a S-ATA interface.

It's current form is the PX-712A, an E-IDE device which supports up to 12x DVD +R writing, and the S-ATA version called PX-712SA.

Unfortunately Plextor has no info about the PX-712SA on their site, but hopefully it won't be long until they do.

Just thought this might be interesting with UT2k4 being released on DVD, and John R's post prompted me to post this
John Reynolds said:
Damn, I refuse to pay the $$ for a SCSI DVD drive, but I also don't feel like putting up with 6 CDs in Atari's paper sleeves.

MrGaribaldi said:
According to a norwegian hardware site, Plextor is about to release a DVD-writer which has a S-ATA interface.

It's current form is the PX-712A, an E-IDE device which supports up to 12x DVD +R writing, and the S-ATA version called PX-712SA.

Unfortunately Plextor has no info about the PX-712SA on their site, but hopefully it won't be long until they do.

Just thought this might be interesting with UT2k4 being released on DVD, and John R's post prompted me to post this

John Reynolds said:
Damn, I refuse to pay the $$ for a SCSI DVD drive, but I also don't feel like putting up with 6 CDs in Atari's paper sleeves.
All I have to say is that it is about damn time these came out. I was contemplating purchasing a new DVD writer from Plextor but think I will put it off just in case. I would like the writer to last for a while and don't want any IDE cables if possible. Of course dual layer is just around the corner too...but I figure by the time that comes down in cost and gets fast enough speed wise (supposed to start at 2.4x) then I don't plan on buying one. I figure that is at least a year to two years away from being feasible so there is no point in getting the first generation drives.

plextor had a press release (about 1.5 years ago) that they were ready to launch a SATA dvd-rw drive. Hasnt happened yet. But im all for SATA optical drives. ;)

later,
epic

epicstruggle said:
plextor had a press release (about 1.5 years ago) that they were ready to launch a SATA dvd-rw drive. Hasnt happened yet. But im all for SATA optical drives. ;)

later,
epic

Ah, ok...

I'll try to see if I can dig up some more actual facts about when/if it's going to be introduced.

well it looks like yahoo.news is running with this story too. So I guess we can finally look forward to SATA optical drives. Hope they come out soon. ;)

later,
epic

Back