RIP James Kim 1971-2006

Naboomagnoli

Newcomer
120606_james.jpg

CNET TV Tribute

To be honest, I had no idea who this man was and am usually a bit funny about people who post these sorts of threads about people who don't know the deceased, but I felt compelled to post this after watching the tribute videos and learning how he died. He came across as genuinely lovely, funny man who had a passion for his work, and was obviously a loving father. Given the manner of his departure, it must be a comfort to his fans, friends and family that he will always be remembered as a hero.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just posted a similar thread at the same time, this story really hit me hard because I was following it constantly.

Imagine watching your family slowly waste away for 7 days in a car, not knowing if help would ever arrive. So you set out to try do ANYTHING, SOMETHING, and hike for help, but the climate and terrain is terrible. Then you make the mistake of leaving the road after a few miles to follow a creek, perhaps believing the old rule of thumb about following water to civilization. Stuck in a steep canyon, starving with food for days, freezing in 20degF temperatures, no hat, no boots, and knowing your family is starving in the car. You have no choice to plow forward down the creek, hoping eventually to find *something*. Perhaps days pass, you're freezing, and you begin to think you're not going to make it, but WORSE, your two children and wife are going to die too.

Maybe James never heard the rescue chopters that rescued his family. Maybe he did. But we now know from statements by the helicopter pilot who found James's family that James in fact *DID* help his family. The pilot initially spotted a long trail of James's footprints on the road which the pilot followed to find his wife and children. Maybe it's an apocryphal story by the pilot.

But somehow, I don't have a problem with James's daughters growing up believing that their father was a hero, that his death was not in vain.

yes, you can't trust GPS, you also can't trust most maps. You need *local* maps produced by locals, plus topo maps that show you what you're getting into. The local maps are much more likely to have weather warning info. National generic maps produced by chain publishers are less likely.

In reality, they should close this road with gates, period. Every year, people get stuck on the same road in winter. They rescued another guy elsewhere in Oregon the same day they found Kim's body.

The road can start off looking passable and then RAPIDLY turn to shit, by which time you've gone miles down it, and potentially stuck. Also, the forest road Kim veered onto looked wider and more passable than NF-23, but that's because it was headed to lower elevations.

The only truly saving piece of electronics is a satellite phone, minimally with a hand-crank recharger, plus enough provisions in the vehicle to wait for rescue.

But the best advise of all is the stay the fuck out of the mountains in winter and NEVER take shortcuts through mountains. Instead of spending another hour driving by turning back to route 42, James took a fatal short-cut. I've been in Oregon before driving to Crater Lake, and I too almost got lost on a fucking logging road. Many of them are paved, look completely legit, and hard to distinguish from the main roads, except they have no signs, which you often don't notice until too late. (how many times you found a road, which you thought was your turnoff, but didn't have a street sign, so you took it on a hunch, even though it was a really the next turnout!)

I drive to Tahoe alot for skiing, and besides having provisions, I never take anything but the main roads, and even then, I avoid them when there's alot of snow, even given 4WD and chains and snowtires. One year, I drove to Tahoe at noon, it was supposed to take 4hrs. I didn't get there until 11pm. I had to drive on chains at 10mph through moutains on snowpacked roads for 10 hours, the most scary drive I've ever had. Luckily, there were a gazillion people also on the road, so if I did break down, help wasn't far. But still. A harrowing drive. I learned by lesson after that.

Back