Resident Evil 5 Confirmed for Xbox360 and PS3!

Fox5 said:
randycat99 said:
Sure it does...just not all at one time. ;)

Well, lets see...
if a TV can do 540P at 60 fps, that means it can do 1080i at 60fps, which means it can do 1080p at 30 fps? Is it actually able to do 1080p, or does it overwrite lines previous lines?

Say if the TV has 540 lines to work with, could it just overwrite the previous line on each update to do 1080i? Or is the electron gun able to do 1080 gradations on the screen, just not at 60fps?(basically, does it have 1080 different heights to aim at, or just 540?)

I don't believe they operate as flexibly as you have described. There may be some overlap (with the line in the previous field), but the lines are still essentially interlaced. There is no direct comparison to progressive, except only in topical numbers (which are more meant to describe data-rate, not visual perception). What matters is where lines end up on the screen, spatially. I believe you are on the right track in your inquiry that the gun does still need to aim in 1080 different heights on the screen.

_leech_ said:
Fox5 said:
Starting at around $350, you can get 30" EDTVs. That's 480p and 1080i.

Umm, no. EDTV is only 480p, 1080i is an HDTV resolution.

Like I said, I don't consider 1080i an HDTV resolution because its bandwidth requirements are the same as 540P, and 540P is basically just widescreen EDTV. If you want the best possible graphics possible most of the time the answer will be 720P, even if 1080i is an option.(assuming 60fps material, which should also be a must for content)

I'd consider myself cheated if I bought something that claimed to be an HDTV that didn't actually support 720P.

People don't "see" bandwidths, so you shouldn't attach so much importance to it, in this respect. They see what is painted on the screen. 1080i is still 1080 unique lines on screen. It's just not all at once.

Otherwise, you could open it up to all sorts of zany interpretations. Like would 720p60 also "look like" 1440p30? ...or does it look like 360p120? It's nonsensical when the numbers are used like that to indicate what you are "seeing". It's all about the difference in saying the allotted bandwidth could do all those different combinations, but the actual implementation will determine what you will see (which will be one choice from those combinations, only).

Actually, can anyone recommend some sources to read about and maybe even buy HDTVs? All we have here so far are mostly LCD TVs, which aren't good for me, and I don't even know what to look for...

So your telling me when I watch most of my shows in 1080i they don't look any better than 480p widescreen, I don't think so.

c0_re said:
So your telling me when I watch most of my shows in 1080i they don't look any better than 480p widescreen, I don't think so.

I'd say 720P @60fps looks better.

For broadcast TV, most of which runs at 30fps, 1080i is probably the superior choice. For next gen video game consoles, no way in hell.

I thought that the PQ difference between 1080i and 720P depended upon the material being watched.

For scenes with lots of movement (aka sports) then the latter is generally more favored. But for scenes with less movement, the extra lines of resolution (even if not progressively scanned) can have more detail. /shrug.

My impression is that since they both are refreshing at 60 Hz, motion depiction should not particularly be lesser in one than the other. The difference will come in the rendering of detail. 720p will have less detail, but the detail will be rock steady (no crawling edges or flickering dots). 1080i will allow greater detail, but at the expense of some interlace artifacts.

Now all of this falls to the wayside sometimes, when you consider the actual program material that is playing. If it is 24p (as in a film), then motion is pretty well fubarred whether you are on a 720p set or a 1080i set. Similarly, if the detail isn't stellar in the program material, or the data compression is pretty high (which nearly all digital cable and digital satellite outfits should be under suspicion of guilt), it's possible isn't enough detail to make a difference on a 720p or 1080i display, anyway. Then if you happen to be tuned into a station broadcasting interlaced programming, you can't exactly count on being immune to interlace artifacts just by watching on your 720p set. Similarly, if you are tuned to a 720p station, a 1080i set isn't going to magically create extra detail from that signal.

The bottomline is that there is no one absolutely great choice here, unless you are picking your viewing situation meticulously (which pretty much destroys the freedom of watching what you want, where you want, and enjoying it).

Laa-Yosh said:
Actually, can anyone recommend some sources to read about and maybe even buy HDTVs? All we have here so far are mostly LCD TVs, which aren't good for me, and I don't even know what to look for...

One of the best source on the net, www.avsforum.com.

Vysez said:
Laa-Yosh said:

One of the best source on the net, www.avsforum.com.

There is a UK version of AVS which might be "closer to home" in terms of model #s, etc.

Resident Evil 5 Update
New details on the first next generation Resident Evil.
by Anoop Gantayat

August 1, 2005 - An update on Resident Evil 5 has just come our way from the latest issue of one of our favorite Japanese magazines, Famitsu Xbox (soon to be Famitsu Xbox 360). The September issue of the magazine features a four page look at Resident Evil 5, and while the screenshots are old, the interview with producer Jun Takeuchi is new.

In the interview, Takeuchi reveals some juicy details on the visual side of the game. You may have noticed the particularly impressive shot of the main character aiming his gun at the screen. The character uses a whole lot of polygons, with modeling going down to the detail of each blade of hair that makes up his stubble.

The game's powerful visual engine will contribute to facial expressions. The game engine, in its current form, gives the developers the ability to set values for muscles throughout character faces, allowing for fine tuned facial expressions. Takeuchi notes that he's unsure if this will make it into the final game or not.

Capcom is working to make the game run at a smooth sixty frames per second, twice the frame rate of the GameCube Resident Evil 4. According to Takeuchi, this will allow for some gameplay situations that could not be achieved in a thirty frames per second game, and he points to this as evidence that the game will indeed have a strong action component.

Outside of visuals, we can expect real physics from the game. Takeuchi is hoping to make the world reactive to your actions, allowing you to break things by shooting them and topple things by kicking them.

For the complex visuals and physics that will go into the game, Famitsu Xbox asks Takeuchi if it's possible that the game will use middleware, such as the Unreal 3 engine. Takeuchi responds that his team is currently investigating such solutions. Takeuchi feels that, while many Japanese developers have spent time creating their own engines until now, this requires too much money and time.

This was touched upon in our original story on the game, but one area the development team is hoping to focus on with Resident Evil 5 is giving players a sense of the surrounding atmosphere through visuals. Heat and cold are key words for Resident Evil 5, Takeuchi reveals, with the game's visual engine being able to clearly express changes in temperature. This is something that can only be done with high definition visuals, Takeuchi states.

Finally, Takeuchi confirms that the game will follow along the lines of Resident Evil 4's gameplay system. This doesn't seem to indicate that the game will play exactly like Resident Evil 4, but that it will play closer to Resident Evil 4 than the original PlayStation games.

The Resident Evil 5 team is currently considering sharing the previous PlayStation Meeting and Xbox Summit Resident Evil 5 trailer with the public at the September Tokyo Game Show. We hope to hear more on the game then.

ign

Sklaar (and everyone else for that matter) - when you post news or information from another site, can you please (a) not quote the entire article and/or (b) supply with any links or sources. We would be upset if people did the same with our material so it is only fair that we expect forum users to comply with these wishes.

Neeyik said:
Sklaar (and everyone else for that matter) - when you post news or information from another site, can you please (a) not quote the entire article and/or (b) supply with any links or sources. We would be upset if people did the same with our material so it is only fair that we expect forum users to comply with these wishes.

ok, sorry

Utilizing the Xbox 360 unprecedented power, Resident Evil 5 promises to revolutionize the series by delivering an unbelievable level of detail, realism and control.

Resident Evil 5 is certain to bring new fans to the series while expanding the world of video game entertainment to new heights; confirming once again Capcom’s long standing reputation as a bold innovator within the industry.

Capcom released today the very first screenshots of Resident Evil 5 running on Xbox 360. We'll have more on BIOHAZARD 5 from the show's floor.

Link

It seems to be the exact same screenshots released awhile back. So does this mean that the trailer shown at the PS Meeting 2005 is running on Xbox 360? Or perhaps TXB just screw up.

- Z

Back