Reboots

Vadi

Regular
I have a problem because my PC reboots when I play 3d games. Also Nasa Worldwind causes this. Any particular reason for this? I have a 2600+ Barton, KT333 mainboard, Radeon 9800 Pro, Audigy2 ZS, 1 HDD, 2 CD/DVD burners, Enermax 350W PSU. I'm running SP1 but I tried SP2 too. I have installed the newest drivers for every hardware.

edit: Grr right now again. I started Worldwind and when trying to switch to Firefox it rebooted! o_O

edit2: Ok I realized it happens evry time I switch to Firefox while Worldwind downloads an animation. I'll try if it does this when they're only open (Firefox, Worldwind).

Vadi said:
I have a problem because my PC reboots when I play 3d games. Also Nasa Worldwind causes this. Any particular reason for this? I have a 2600+ Barton, KT333 mainboard, Radeon 9800 Pro, Audigy2 ZS, 1 HDD, 2 CD/DVD burners, Enermax 350W PSU. I'm running SP1 but I tried SP2 too. I have installed the newest drivers for every hardware.

First guess is that your PSU is right on the edge on one of it's power rails, and when you go 3D, it drops below the reboot threshold.

There shouldn't be enough kit there to overload an Enermax 350, though... have you run memtest?

I've got the Digitaldoc 5 which measures 5V and 12V lines via a power cable (it shows 4.90V and 12.25V now). I also checked it during 3dmark05 and voltages where okay.

When I installed the PSU I fried my floppy drive :oops: (I attached the power cable reversely). So I can't run memtest now. Did I damage the PSU by this (the PC didn't boot, the fans spun for a second the everything turned off. I tried 2 or 3 times before I realized I didn't connect the floppy correctly)? I'll swap ram sticks to see if it makes any difference.

I changed network (from onboard to LAN card) because LAN and graphics shared an IRQ. But the problem remains.

Now something really scary happened: I ran chkdsk and I needed to reboot in order to fix problems. Just before the login screen appeared there has been a jumbled image for a moment, then the login screen appeared.

I tried overclocking my PC: FSB and RAM to 190 or 195 MHz (in increments). And the Radeon to 415MHz core and 367MHz RAM (seems to be 350MHz ram since it started to show artifacts after 367MHz). Also one time I played with the ATI Tool and I lowered the clock increments. Then I overclocked the core to 405MHz and it rebooted. The Digitaldoc is setup to beep when the voltages are off (5V +/-0.25V and 12V +/-0.60V). It beeped at that reboot (stopped before POST screen though). This was the only time it beeped because of the voltages. Since then (a few days ago) I've ran everything at stock speeds.

Ok to sum it up:

1)
Thief 3 causes reboots after long playing.

2)
Nascar 2003 causes reboots in multiplayer when I'm not playing (when I watch a race).

3)
When I run chkdsk on my system partition and it reboots bacuse of that, I get a jumbled screen [mostly black, white vertical lines, some colour, something that looks like a jumbled logo (not the POST screen)] for a moment right before the login screen.

4)
When I run Worldwind my PC reboots.

5)
All other games work fine.

I had some problems with my FX5600 too (in Nascar 2003 I got wiggling vertices). So it could be PSU, RAM, mainboard, videocard.

You can run memtest from CD if you can burn an ISO image.

I've one machine here that also shows garbage for half a second before the login screen appears, so that's 'normal' behaviour for some ATI card / driver / machine combinations.

Ensure that you have "automatically reboot on BSOD" disabled...

Vadi said:
I changed network (from onboard to LAN card) because LAN and graphics shared an IRQ. But the problem remains.

It's not a problem if devices share IRQs, the hardware is engineered to allow this. I'd recommend you'd go back to the on-board network adapter instead as you'll likely get better performance this way (if it's integrated into your chipset).

This was the only time it beeped because of the voltages. Since then (a few days ago) I've ran everything at stock speeds.

Why don't you make it easy for yourself and switch to a different PSU just to test. Voltages could still dip below critical without your multimeter detecting it if it's only for a short period; they generally do not react very quickly to changes or else it would be hard to read a number display.

I'm back from the Oktoberfest! Thanks a lot for the replies! Guden Oden I use the network only for cable internet @1024kbps. So I'll stay probably with that now. I was just searching for any clues. I'll "RMA" the PSU!

I don't have that option in my BIOS. Anyway the problem is gone! I've probably damaged my mainboard because I used a broken USB wheel. Sometimes the PC detects a USB keyboard when I connect a USB device. Thanks again!

That's not an option in bios, that's an option in WinOS. In WinXP: System Properties / Advanced / Startup and Recovery / Settings / Automatically restart.

Didn't know that! :oops: No entries in the event log here. But now I saw the BSOD. Stop at adress 0x0000007F (0x0000000D, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). I ran Memtest 4 times. The first two times it showed errors in both ram sticks, then there were no errors (I ran "all tests" for about 5 1/2 hours then I stopped it). I'm sure it's the mainboard because of my bullhead using a broken wheel. Also the temperature readings are off and when I set a CPU shutdown temperature it shuts down without a reason. I'm off buying a new mainbaoard now :mrgreen: !

Maybe I didn't connect the power to the videocard properly too. Anyway, I bought an Athlon64 3200+, Nforce3 mainboard :mrgreen:! The stock cooler got to go though. I bought the EKL Blade 64 with a Papst fan. This thing is great! Everything works fine! :D

edit: The voltages from the Digitaldoc5 are much better now: 5.03 and 12.09 :D

Back