Rambus: Most mobile phones use memory interfaces that infringe on our patents

Brimstone

B3D Shockwave Rider
Veteran
Most mobile phones use memory interfaces that infringe Rambus patents said the company's CEO, Harold Hughes.

"We have technology that we invented literally 10 to 15 years ago, that is going into just about every mobile phone, so that will be an opportunity for us to find patent licences," Hughes said. Many people thought that Rambus would not survive patent infringement lawsuits it is involved in "and to a certain extent our technology was then incorporated wantonly," Hughes said.

http://www.techworld.com/mobility/news/index.cfm?NewsID=5388&Page=1&pagePos=11&inkc=0

Mobile Phone makers your free lunch is over!

Dear Rambus,

People already don't like you.

We don't need yet another company that simply survives because of lawsuits.

In conclusion, either do something revolutionary, or die.

Sincerely,

Everyone

zsouthboy said:
Well, they did get their RAM in PS2 also which means that product alone's responsible for bringing in royalties from well over 200 million pieces of DRDRAM...

Rambus isn't in Revolution, but it IS in PS3. ;) Both the ASIC interconnects and memory chips/interfaces use Rambus tech.

These guys are hilarious.

On the other side, did they really invent this stuff back then or did they buy tech from someone else?

zsouthboy said:
Dear Rambus,

People already don't like you.
Well I like them.

zsouthboy said:
They wouldn't need lawsuits if nobody stole their inventions.

zsouthboy said:
They did and do things revolutionary, I hope they don't die.

Also read e.g. this article and also the discussion about that article.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060131-6092.html

Just getting tired of all the uninformed Rambus attacks...

K.I.L.E.R said:
Patenst = suck.

Yeah, every small-time innovator should have his or her great ideas copied/stolen by companies with deeper pockets so that they never make a dime for their hard work and brilliant ideas.

Mize said:
Yeah, every small-time innovator should have his or her great ideas copied/stolen by companies with deeper pockets so that they never make a dime for their hard work and brilliant ideas.
Yep. If you are that small-time innovator, even if you get a patent granted, you are still likely to find yourself in a situation where you have to pay for years of litigation to get a dime from the Big Business that willfully infringe on your patent. Moreover, while doing so, you can rest assured that Big Business will carefully examine their patent portfolios for anything that can block your product from the market until your patent expires, or perhaps even cross-check your technology against everyone else's patents, identify possible infringements, and pay off the relevant patent owners to attack you etc.

As far as I can tell, the patent system in its current form looks like a gigantic Prisoner's Dilemma.

fromfrom said:
Well I like them.

They wouldn't need lawsuits if nobody stole their inventions.

They did and do things revolutionary, I hope they don't die.

Also read e.g. this article and also the discussion about that article.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060131-6092.html

Just getting tired of all the uninformed Rambus attacks...

I'm hardly uninformed about RAMBUS. No one is stealing their inventions; they're abusing our patent system (just like practically every other company, however).

I hardly think serial-bussed RAM is revolutionary.

And I still don't like the stunt Intel attempted to pull RE: RDRAM.

I mean this in all seriousness.. why do you like them?

Well I think patents should expire in 5 years if you can't show you are seriously trying to make an actual product out of it. Just hoarding patents in the hopes that someday someone with deep pockets will potentially infringe them, imho should be illegal.

zsouthboy said:
I'm hardly uninformed about RAMBUS. No one is stealing their inventions; they're abusing our patent system (just like practically every other company, however).

I hardly think serial-bussed RAM is revolutionary.

And I still don't like the stunt Intel attempted to pull RE: RDRAM.

I mean this in all seriousness.. why do you like them?

Because they had/have great ideas, not limited to only serial-bussed RAM. They did design real products and stood up against the memory cartel.

Seems like many of these problems would be solved if patent lawsuits were only granted to those who defended their patents right from the beginning.

How long have cell phones been out? You can't just wait until they become enormously widespread before you file a lawsuit. If a company has used your patent for a year or two (let alone the decade+ that cellphones have be around) and you haven't said anything, then I say tough luck.

A more difficult issue, however, is dealing with obvious or easily derivable ideas. Data buses seem like a pretty silly thing to patent, IMO. It's relatively basic in digital hardware design, and patenting it seems akin to patenting a data structure in programming. Another good example is how RIM will likely pay hundreds of millions for infringing on the idea of wireless email access. That's just ridiculous.

fromfrom said:
Because they had/have great ideas, not limited to only serial-bussed RAM. They did design real products and stood up against the memory cartel.

How did they stand up against the memory cartel, exactly?

personally I feel patents should be abolished outright.

On the face of it, they are designed to give a way of making money back from research, but in reality I don't see this is the case. If someone copies you, it's copyright infringment, however if they research their own version of what your doing to compete with you, then well it's all good in my book. Forces the original researcher to refine their product, competition etc.

Licensing existing technology is completly different than licensing an existing idea. :(

I've been put under pressure to patent things in the past, odly enough. I didn't thankfully.

arjan de lumens said:
Yep. If you are that small-time innovator, even if you get a patent granted, you are still likely to find yourself in a situation where you have to pay for years of litigation to get a dime from the Big Business that willfully infringe on your patent. Moreover, while doing so, you can rest assured that Big Business will carefully examine their patent portfolios for anything that can block your product from the market until your patent expires, or perhaps even cross-check your technology against everyone else's patents, identify possible infringements, and pay off the relevant patent owners to attack you etc.

As far as I can tell, the patent system in its current form looks like a gigantic Prisoner's Dilemma.

Indeed it is quite pathetic, information should be free, we should give credit where it is due, but we should encourage information to be freely used and shared.

It's just BS that if I discover something in parallel or even later on my own, that I've somehow infringed on someone else's discovery, just plain BS. They're called inventions, but from what we now know, they're more like discoveries.

Back