radeon9600 Pro AIW problem

silhouette

Regular
Hi guys/gals,

I built my HTPC recently.. Everything went very well and smooth except one problem which bothers me very frequently. MY computer freezes for a couple of seconds and then a message states that the graphics driver can not communicate with the hardware and therefore resets the GPU (basically it is the VPU recovery of Catalyst).. The interesting thing so far is I tried two games (NFS:Underground and Jedi Knight-Academy), and both of them runs without any problem (no crashes after 1-2 hours play). So this problem is only specific to desktop. I tried to decrease AGP speed (to x4), turns off the fast writes (both from bios and from smartgart), turns off agp calibration cycle from bios and reduce the hardware acceleration by one notch, but nothing help. If it does not occur very frequently, I may live with it, but unfortunately, sometimes it happens so often that you want to shutdown the computer and get away..

here is my config, if it helps:

Asus A7V8X-MX (KM400 chipset) - latest Via 4-in-1 drivers (4.51 I guess)
Athlon 2500+ (Barton)
512 Corsair PC2700 (2-2-2) Ram
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
ATI 9600 Pro All-in-Wander (Catalyst 4.1)
120 Gig HD (Seagate) with only 40 gig formatted
CD-RW/DVD combo drive
Microsoft Intellimouse (PS-2 connection)
Logitech multimedia keyboard (keyboard connection)

The onbaord audio is disabled from the bios, but I can not disable the onboard video (it still uses 16 meg of the ram), but I did not install any drivers for the onboard video.
At first I suspect it is a heat problem because I have a very small uATX case, but the computer crashed once immediately after it booted up..so I guess heat is not the problem.. The PSU is 200 Watts (max 230), but since it did not fail in the games, I guess it is not the problem either..

Btw, I remember that there are only 16 IRQs in a PC, but when I check the device manager, the IRQ numbers are as high as 23.

Any ideas?

Back