R300 the fastest for DoomIII, John Carmack Speaks Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as this DXTC issue that keeps popping up...In another thread some days ago, somebody posted an 8500 image...So, I basically tried to mirror that image as well, only on a GF4.

To even suggest that the GF4 is borked, as compared to the 8500, is pretty ludicrous...if you actually do a comparison.

So far, I've seen screenshots of Jedi Knight and Quake3...At the very least, the GF4 does a much better job in minimizing the artifacts...In comparing the Quake3 sky, for example, the difference was massive. Jedi Knight didn't look all that different to me though.

iRC said:
Old review on old drivers ? not really that interesting seeing as most users will be running newer drivers and such issues are likely not to be present.

The review I quoted was _six months_ after the release of the Radeon 8500. Don't you think it's a bit sad that those drivers aren't stable?

Higher internal precision can also make colours look more vibrant. I think it?s a bit ?sad? that NVIDIA has chosen not to implement something like this to attain high quality.

As far as I know, under normal texture ops, there is no increased internal precision on the Radeon (Compared to other video cards). The only "increased internal precision" of the Radeon 8500 that I know of lies in its use of overbright lights...which have yet to be used (and even the DOOM3 level designers, apparently, aren't using them...though the engine does support 'em).

And, by the way, every current video card has greater than 8 bits per channel precision internally. Otherwise there'd be massive color loss on fairly simple operations like turning on anisotropic filtering.

I think this thread is getting a tad boring now. This forum isn't supposed to be the 'my favourite companies card is better than yours' discussion area.

I'm going to lock the thread so if anyone has something interesting to say about the new DoomIII engine or upcoming 3D tech then find or start an appropriate thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back