Quick Resume List

Changes to the list this week

Astria Ascending now supports Quick Resume.
According to a video from Open Source, Guardians of the Galaxy supports the feature

FATAL FRAME: Maiden of BlackWater does not support the feature.

Recent Changes to the list

Games that support Quick Resume
Dead or Alive Ultimate
Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate
Dead or Alive 3
Grand Theft Auto Trilogy Definitive Edition
Halo Infinite
Matrix Awakens: An Unreal Engine 5 Experience

Games that currently don't Support Quick Resume
Bayonetta (Xbox 360)
Dead or Alive 4
Rune Factory 4 Special
Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi
Story of Season: Friends of Mineral Town

Last edited:
Recent Changes to the list

Alien, Isolation
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Anniversary
Hatsune Miku Logic Paint S
Resident Evil Zero
Sunset Overdrive

Crystal Defenders
Beyond Good and Evil HD
Radiant Silvergun
Rocket Knight

What the heck is causing changes? I get games that don't support QR being patched to work with it, but what causes a game that works with QR then to not support it?

I'm not relying on QR on my Series X because I can't remember what does and does not work and getting it wrong means losing game progress. It just feels safer to the natural game save point. Some UI tweaks could help.

I get games that don't support QR being patched to work with it, but what causes a game that works with QR then to not support it?

Maybe Devs/Pubs forgetting to make sure the QR Compatibility setting remains checked when they release their next update? Or devs/pubs getting reports about games misbehaving with QR and not finding a way of fixing the issue(s) so they toggle the QR Compatibility setting off in the meantime?

Sorry, maybe I should have rephrased it. The changes I am making to the list are me adding new games to the list as I get them, or I get recent confirmation that they are working or not. If a game were to start or stop working with Quick Resume, I would make extra mention of that like I did for Astria Ascending. So far Quick Resume has not been removed from any game on the list I posted.

The last time they may have removed quick resume from a game was around launch. I do think it could still happen though, for a while there I was afraid that instead of fixing the quick resume issue in Tales of Arise that they would turn it off because it caused some really hard system crashes in that game.

If you happen to have a game on the "Doesn't support quick resume list" and can confirm that it supports the feature I will do further testing and update the list with my findings, likely put in another category like inconsistent support

Last edited:
Maybe Devs/Pubs forgetting to make sure the QR Compatibility setting remains checked when they release their next update? Or devs/pubs getting reports about games misbehaving with QR and not finding a way of fixing the issue(s) so they toggle the QR Compatibility setting off in the meantime?
Is that how it works, if the dev doesn't set a flag, QuickResume doesn't work? Does the Xbox warn you if you switch from a non-QR compatible game to a new game?

It's not a massive issue for me because I generally only play one game at a time but I'd like to better understand the feature now that lockdown is easing and friends are talking about coming over to play games like it was 2019 or something!

Is that how it works, if the dev doesn't set a flag, QuickResume doesn't work? Does the Xbox warn you if you switch from a non-QR compatible game to a new game?

It's not a massive issue for me because I generally only play one game at a time but I'd like to better understand the feature now that lockdown is easing and friends are talking about coming over to play games like it was 2019 or something!

Yes, it's a compatibility setting, that's up to the devs to set. Initially the legacy games were tested directly by Xbox teams and settings applied from there. This produced a bit of an initial backlog, but that should be sorted by now. They may test out new games if the setting isn't applied to see if it's compatible and apply it. Other compatibility settings are things like AutoHDR and FPSBoost. Though for FPSBoost there are different methods so it's less of a toggle and more of a method to apply. These various settings are contained in a text-based overall system specification file and is updated in the background periodically. It may also be updated upon new game install too. This file was posted on XboxEra or ResetEra in one of the earlier discussions, it's quite boring to look through after the initial glance.

No warning. It's exactly like the experience on last-gen consoles when switching between games or exiting/quitting games.

Yes, it's a compatibility setting, that's up to the devs to set. Initially the legacy games were tested directly by Xbox teams and settings applied from there. This produced a bit of an initial backlog, but that should be sorted by now. They may test out new games if the setting isn't applied to see if it's compatible and apply it. Other compatibility settings are things like AutoHDR and FPSBoost. Though for FPSBoost there are different methods so it's less of a toggle and more of a method to apply. These various settings are contained in a text-based overall system specification file and is updated in the background periodically. It may also be updated upon new game install too. This file was posted on XboxEra or ResetEra in one of the earlier discussions, it's quite boring to look through after the initial glance.

No warning. It's exactly like the experience on last-gen consoles when switching between games or exiting/quitting games.

I wonder why auto hdr is still disabled on new games like Lost Judgement.

I wonder why auto hdr is still disabled on new games like Lost Judgement.
Auto HDR definitely requires testing by the dev or Microsoft because it alters the actual gameplay whereas quick resume could be viewed as a snapshot with memory in Vmware or a Checkpoint with memory in Hyper-v and should not really alter the game just let you bring the system back up to where it was originally.

Auto HDR definitely requires testing by the dev or Microsoft because it alters the actual gameplay whereas quick resume could be viewed as a snapshot with memory in Vmware or a Checkpoint with memory in Hyper-v and should not really alter the game just let you bring the system back up to where it was originally.

On windows 11 auto hdr works for any game afaik. No issue yet.

I thought they'd possibly be using the same list for compatibility. It makes sense to me.

As long as the game is dx11 or 12 and launched not exclusive fullscreen, auto hdr auto enabled on my w11. Even on cyberpunk 2077, destiny 2, and any hdr compatible game with with in-game hdr disabled.

Nah, there are lots of games not enabling autohdr in windows. Recent ones that I remember, Psychonauts 2, Diablo 2 resurrected, Kena. There are more I tried that didn’t work but it’s been while since I gamed on my PC so can’t recall specifics.

Nah, there are lots of games not enabling autohdr in windows. Recent ones that I remember, Psychonauts 2, Diablo 2 resurrected, Kena. There are more I tried that didn’t work but it’s been while since I gamed on my PC so can’t recall specifics.
It was whitelist on March, I think. Then it became free for all (or Microsoft whitelist was added with loads of more entries). Even emulators runs with autohdr.

It was whitelist on March, I think. Then it became free for all (or Microsoft whitelist was added with loads of more entries). Even emulators runs with autohdr.

Not every game works the same, and there’s a technical reason that some games don’t work with autohdr. IIRC It’s something to do with the swapchains flip mode. Same reason why special k, which was doing HDR on non HDR games before windows AutoHDR, doesn’t work with every game, although more recent versions can try to force the correct flip mode required to force HDR with varying results, still doesn’t work on every game.

List Update.

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water
Taiko no Tatsujin: The Drum Master!

The Sealed Ampoule

Microsoft just pushed out a system update today and while I did not test before updating my system, I know that Quick Resume was not working for Fatal Frame on Monday when I checked. Next time I will test before updating my system.

This might be useful for folk who read this thread...

Some screens of the "keep in Quick Resume" feature going out to Alpha Xbox Insiders at 2PM PT today! Up to two games can be "pinned" so they won't be lost unless the game updates or you remove it. If you try to add a third game, you'll be prompted to choose which game to remove.

FLWLd7_VEAAbSW8

This is like something I had requested previously. Looks like it's limited to 2, but it's nice feature to have regardless.

Tommy McClain

List Update.

Cyberpunk 2077
Dying Light 2
Elden Ring

Thanks to Open Surprise for the Quick Resume status of Dying Light 2 and Elden Ring. Microsoft pushed out a system update today. The update did not affect the status of Quick Resume on any games on the list.

Edit: It does appear that "Keep in Quick Resume" has gone live though.

Back