PSU and x1950 Pro AGP

Windfire

Regular
Hi all... I've got a new x1950 Pro 512MB AGP coming in the mail. I've got an Antec True Power 480 power supply (the original).

I saw this quote:
"That card should be working off a unit with 30a+ on the 12v rail and if you're getting a dual railed unit, then both rails need to be rated at 22a each ( or better ) for a combined continuous/sustained 30a+ to avoid potential power issues."

My PSU:
http://www.antec.com/specs/trueblue480_spe_EU.html

+5V = 38A
-5V = 0.5A
+12V = 28A
-12V = 1.0A
+3.3V = 30A
+5V = 2A

It appears my MAX is 28a, not the required 30. What are the implications? Will this be good enough?

Note: This is on a Dell 8300.

Well, you are pretty close. Dunno how big of an impact those 2 amperes will make. My guess is that it will be fine, but what the hell do I know? :)

Hard to tell, depends on the rest of your system.

My system is supplied by an Antec SmartPower 430W, which delivers a total of 36A via two 12V rails.

Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 1.4V, 3.0 GHz
Asus GF 8800 GTS @ 600/900 MHz
Asus P5W-DH mainboard
2x WD 250GB 7200er HDs Raid-0
2x 160 GB 7200er HDs (Samsung, Hitachi)
BenQ 16x DVD-Burner
Soundblaster X-Fi
2x 120mm fans
1x fan control

Runs perfectly stable.

I think your PSU might be able to handle it but don't take it for granted. From my experience, PSUs degrade over time. The older the PSU, the more likely it won't live up to it's specifications.

Hard to tell but then again, I was surprised that my system runs with a bog-standard PSU that came with a €99 case... and I've done some sick torture testing.

Yeah, hard to tell, especially without knowing what else you've got in that box, but I'd gamble with it. Since the power supply is old I'd give it a good blast of the ol' compressed air to make sure it's good and clean (don't open the PSU unless you know what the capacitors look like!!!).

I think your PSU might be able to handle it but don't take it for granted. From my experience, PSUs degrade over time. The older the PSU, the more likely it won't live up to it's specifications.

Oooh, this is absolutely true, keeping em clean helps though, and I'd still gamble. Then again, I'm running approximately the same card on a $20 PSU, so I'm completely insane(and yet, no issues *fingers crossed*).

Yeah, hard to tell, especially without knowing what else you've got in that box, but I'd gamble with it. Since the power supply is old I'd give it a good blast of the ol' compressed air to make sure it's good and clean.

Yeah, I've read up and the 30a is "recommended"--and is likely being conservative--assuming you have a fairly loaded system. I should be okay. I'll let you all know.

My other components:
* Northwood 3.06GHz CPU
* 2x IDE HDs (200GB, 250GB)
* Audigy 2 ZS
* 2x DVD burners (don't use power unless used)

What is funny is that when I did research, I found a many 450 or lower power supplies don't offer 30a.

Don't quote me on this, but I think you'll be alright. Also, according to specs, the True Power should fail gracefully, if it does(although I do blame one for blowing out a mainboard).

Back