Peter Wright's blog with a hilarious farewell to M$...

_xxx_

Banned
"Good bye Microsoft; Pete has now left the building!"

So, today I resigned my job, and completely ended my Microsoft career. I have taken a role as Director with a company at the leading edge of the “Web 2.0” curve. My team and I will write Ruby on Rails code, use Macintosh computers to do so, shun Microsoft technology completely, go to work in shorts and sandals and blast each other with nerf guns. My team is devoted to being the best it can be, to learning, to improving, to pushing boundaries. And it's not Microsoft.

Vista looks like a pile of crap compared to Mac OS X and Ubuntu with GLX. Their software is buggy, overpriced, and stress inducing. Their development tools are staid, designed and developed by committees to solve every problem you could ever conceive of, while being ideally suited to solving none.

Read it here.

The sad thing is that Pete Write's experiences are duplicated in most companies all over the world. If you are passionate about what you do or the products you make, chances are you will experience the same disappointment of working for people who don't give a damn, understand what is trying to be achieved, or even have any common sense about where to take a product.

If you don't want to take the heartbreak of struggling against idiots to achieve things that you know are not going to give benefit, or are not what the company needs, then you have to learn not to care and just to take the paycheck for turning up every day.

If you don't want to take the heartbreak of struggling against idiots to achieve things that you know are not going to give benefit, or are not what the company needs, then you have to learn not to care and just to take the paycheck for turning up every day.

Or start your own company. If anything, it will teach you to learn about what a company needs, as well as increase the likelihood (but no guarantee) of your needs and the company's needs aligning.

But that said, there are many companies, and if you're talented enough you can often still find one that you will align with. I've had a pretty decent experience so far, but also have my fair share of experiences with running into a companies limitations. Where it goes wrong is typically where I myself change more than the company, and the company doesn't have room for a changed me. Or, I haven't manouvered myself (or other people) in the proper seat of authority, which can also be important. ;)

I happily ended up with a company that doesn't work like that. It was my single requirement.

Back