overclocking with generic ram?

borntosoul

Regular
just want to know what are the current trends for overclocking X2 or opterons with generic ram- is it worth it?
im close to upgrading my system - i want to have 2 gigs of ram and dont wonna spend a fortune on mem(australia still sucks for prices).
im looking to get a 3800 X2 or 170 opteron and overclocking it to (around) 4200 specs.

my other option is to wait for M2 but im not sure how long that will take till it gets here but i guess the same principal applies there. ill still be getting generic ddr2 hehe.

borntosoul said:
just want to know what are the current trends for overclocking X2 or opterons with generic ram- is it worth it?
im close to upgrading my system - i want to have 2 gigs of ram and dont wonna spend a fortune on mem(australia still sucks for prices).
im looking to get a 3800 X2 or 170 opteron and overclocking it to (around) 4200 specs.

my other option is to wait for M2 but im not sure how long that will take till it gets here but i guess the same principal applies there. ill still be getting generic ddr2 hehe.
sure.. just run a divider if you have to, A64d don't have suffer a penalty for running a divider.
For example you could run at 250HT with a 166 memory divider giving you 208mhz for your ram.. a modest overclock.

Last edited by a moderator:
randeonic2, could u pls explain it in a little more detail,
what speed in mhz would that give me? is that 10 X 208 mhz
is that the optimum setup for cheep ram?

borntosoul said:
randeonic2, could u pls explain it in a little more detail,
what speed in mhz would that give me? is that 10 X 208 mhz
is that the optimum setup for cheep ram?
your 3800+ is clocked at 2 ghz and has a 10x cpu multiplier.
So at 250HTT you would be running at 2.5ghz.. which would be rated like a 5000+:smile:

In yous bios setup screen there will be a page that allows you to set your memory speed, either it will have straight up like dividers settings like 6/6 or it will say the mhz it would be at stock speeds.
On my msi neo-4-f you select the mhz.
So setting that to 166 mhz (333 ddr) gets you 208mhz (408 ddr) mhz on your ram at 250HTT.

Back