Nvidia shows signs in [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.

So officially $799 then for the 4070Ti. Nothing much else of note in there given the performance comparisons were all done with DLSS3 engaged. The laptop lineup looks damn impressive if you're interested in that kind of thing though. 2x PS5 performance (from the 4070 mobile) in an ultra portable laptop!

I spoke a little too soon, that AI based video upscaling sounds pretty cool.

And that eye repositioning tech is both cool and creepy at the same time. I can see public speakers jumping all over that which isn't necessarily a good thing.
Yea I just watched the gaming section of the presentation and saw that. The Super Resolution video upscaling tech looks pretty great, and there's a lot of streams and content out there which could be vastly improved by it. So I'm pretty excited to test that out.

Yea I just watched the gaming section of the presentation and saw that. The Super Resolution video upscaling tech looks pretty great, and there's a lot of streams and content out there which could be vastly improved by it. So I'm pretty excited to test that out.

I assume it's automatic or at least can be set globally through the NVCP. Definitely a cool addition with every day applications.

I assume it's automatic or at least can be set globally through the NVCP. Definitely a cool addition with every day applications.
Yea, pretty sure it will be a global setting and will automatically detect supported videos/streams from supported browsers. Essentially I'm thinking of it being like how the Super Resolution is on the Shield devices. If content isn't supported it doesn't engage, and if it does you can very quickly toggle it on and off with the press of a button.

So I'm expecting it to always be on and detecting video output resolution in Chrome and Edge. 4K video will remain untouched, 1080p supported video output will be converted it to 4K super resolution.. and the user will have the ability to enable or disable with a shortcut command.

Essentially I'm thinking of it being like how the Super Resolution is on the Shield devices.
I'm assuming so as well, probably even better. There's some content that looks great using the AI upscaling. It doesn't suit all content but overall it's excellent to have on my Shield and I can toggle it on the remote.

Does anyone know how this works on the Shield? Specifically, is it operating at the output pixel level, or is it operating further upstream in the decode pipeline, thus having access to motion vectors?

The fact that they are talking about specific browsers makes me assume that it will be a plugin for Chromium.

I'm also somewhat puzzled by the lack of Turing support - are they using something other than tensor math there?

Turing support comes later:
Over half of RTX users run their display at resolutions above 1080p, but over 90% of online video is 1080p or lower, resulting in upscaling that further degrades the picture. In February, we’re releasing RTX Video Super Resolution, which uses AI to improve the quality of any video streamed through Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge browsers on GeForce RTX 30 and 40 Series GPUs. Support for GeForce RTX 20 Series GPUs will come in a later update.

Not really that crazy. They have used AI to optimize physical chip layout already. Using it to optimize (parts) of the GPU driver seems logical. In fact I wonder why they only do it now - probably more marketing than actual new thing?
Layout and programming are still quite different things. So far AI was merely a helpful tool for doing the most common things programmers don't want to type n-times a day. But maybe I am behind times and should seek a new career.

Curious if creating drivers this way necessitates more or less input from game developers as graphics/rendering techniques advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back