NV31 to make it into nForce beginning of next year

Integrated graphics are the future.

But not for quite a while yet.

Future technologies such as eDRAM and the like will allow a graphics card to act autonomously on a single chip. The other operations that the north bridge has to do are tiny in comparison to graphics power, and so it just makes sense that one day, we may buy north bridge chip upgrades for a graphics upgrade instead of a new card.

On other topics:

nVidia will not use separate RAM for their integrated graphics on the Hammer platform. nVidia has stated that this defeats the entire purpose of integrated graphics today: price.

nVidia has already pioneered a socket-based system for their GeForce4 Go platforms, something which may eventually make its way to the PC.

The moniker NV31 does seem like a value product name (ex. NV11 = GeForce2 MX). This product will likely have four pixel pipelines, fewer vertex pipelines, and all the programmability of the NV31. nVidia has always used the first number in the codename to describe a parts' 3D capabilities. I don't see why they'd stop now. This is very exciting to me, as I think that it would be amazing if nVidia could have a value DX9 part out within six months! Such a thing could really bring DX9 to bear in a way we have yet to see with DX8.

Thanks.

The reason I was wondering was that all info I've seen earlier (forum speculation not included) talked about the chips being pin compatible. But it didn't say anything about being socketed. That could have meant that it would be easier for laptop producer to move to next GPU generation, but that you still couldn't change your GF2 Go in your old laptop. Well you could of course use a BGA socket, but those I've seen has been rather bulky. (Granted, I've only seen BGA sockets for testing.

Is the "daughter board card" just the MCM?

Today you can buy a nforce 420-D mobo for only US$90 (Abit NV7m, dolby digital audio, dual channel DDR, GF2MX, lan). My guess next year we will see nforce with an integrated low cost .13 micron GF4Ti or GF3 on steroids.

I hope nvidia will get more agressive with nforce pushing the market:
-More partners (they are increasing it)
-More 3D power (DX8 and more bandwith)

Value and mainstream PCs will get decent graphics opening opportunities for many new and old applications. Low budget gamers, college students, kids, SOHO, professionals will like it. IMHO its is time to 3D get mainstream.

Serious gamers may like it too, just add a more powerfull card, but if you are waiting the new 3D card upgrade then use the integrated video.

Intel forecast 1 billions new PCs in the world during the next five years, just imagine 1 billions Gigahertz PCs with TNT vanta like video :rolleyes: What a waste of power and money.

Back