Nintendo Reveals WiFi USB dongle + price: NOT US$95!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guden Oden

Legend
Liksang says 40 bux, arrives november 14th.

I could write more, but it's easier for you to just click the link and read up on it yourselves. :) My guess is this is the same dongle Nintendo will use to connect Revolution to a PC broadband connection as well (though I secretly harbor hopes that a PS3 could serve as a wifi bridge...)

Holding their press conferences during X05, free online gaming, and $50 less for Wi-Fi. I dare say Nintendo is seriously gunning after MS. They may say they're not in competition, but I have a distinct feeling that Nintendo is out to take back what MS took from them.

Mefisutoferesu said:
Holding their press conferences during X05, free online gaming, and $50 less for Wi-Fi. I dare say Nintendo is seriously gunning after MS. They may say they're not in competition, but I have a distinct feeling that Nintendo is out to take back what MS took from them.

Maybe they are, but its too little too late IMO.

Nintendo's upper-management believes they can control the gaming world still and they are dead wrong. The laundry list of mistakes starting with possibly the biggest one ever concerning the CD format back almost 10 years ago has pretty much put them where they are now and they regrettably deserve it.

Microsoft is now the established #2 player in all markets but Japan and they have the cash/reserves to keep it at any cost. I have said it before and I truly believe Nintendo will be a handheld console and multi-plat software company by 2008.

Microsoft is now the established #2 player in all markets but Japan and they have the cash/reserves to keep it at any cost.

They are the established #2 player in the US and that's about it, they're hardly doing well enough in Europe to say they're the established number 2 there. Plus they will not keep second place at any cost. They lost $4 billion on XBox and they are not prepared to lose that kind of money again.

I have said it before and I truly believe Nintendo will be a handheld console and multi-plat software company by 2008.

Then you don't understand much about this business.

Teasy said:
They are the established #2 player in the US and that's about it, they're hardly doing well enough in Europe to say they're the established number 2 there. Plus they will not keep second place at any cost. They lost $4 billion on XBox and they are not prepared to lose that kind of money again.

Then you don't understand much about this business.

Maybe you should read more reports on Nintendo's declining pofits then get back to me. Sure they are still making money, but not nearly as much as before. As a matter of fact alot of their current profit has been due to the Dollar/Yen rates. Now they have a serious contender in the PSP to take some of their handheld revenue away which was always reliable and the Gamecube has been pretty abysmal.

Now they are spending chunks on a new system that uses an unproven control mechanism and inferior hardware. Sorry but out of the big three Nintendo is definately on the shakiest ground and anyone who thinks otherwise is in denial. Being that so much of their company relies on stocks anything is possible. Incase you haven't noticed Nintendos home consoles are trending downward and have been for awhile.

Microsoft is now established and shown they are serious about gaming and unlike the past gen they made good agreements on the hardware side that will allow more flexibility in their future profits/pricing. I really dont think MS after such a big investment in the Xbox brand will just fold up shop and go home. They have passed Nintendo and I dont forsee them losing ground and most analysts agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Teasy said:
They are the established #2 player in the US and that's about it, they're hardly doing well enough in Europe to say they're the established number 2 there..

I think Nintendo's home console business is on solid ground and that they don't really need to sell as many consoles as the other two, but Xbox is clearly Number 2 in Europe it's not even a contest at the moment.

Dr Evil said:
I think Nintendo's home console business is on solid ground and that they don't really need to sell as many consoles as the other two, but Xbox is clearly Number 2 in Europe it's not even a contest at the moment.

According to this article the GC is being blamed for N's losses this half. At the same time it said that they did beat estimates.

Sales were down unexpectedly during the first-half for the house that Mario built. Nintendo said that demand for the GameCube console and its games has weakened considerably, especially in North America. The company was forced to lower its full-year sales targets, but it did maintain its prior full-year profit outlook.

Nintendo makes more profit. Why would they need to be a software company by 2008? :)

Nintendo is gonna slaughter the PSP this holiday season in Japan. Nintendo's Wi-Fi network is ontime, not late.

I don't believe Nintendo will go into the negatives, unlike their competitor Sony whose gaming division is the only division posting profits. ;)

Master-Morld, I've seen Nintendo's last 10 annual financial reports. You talk of declining profits, yet in 2005 Nintendo made a profit of $768 million. Which is up there with their best yearly results (only 2001 and 2002's results have been better in the last 10 years). Its true that in 2004 Nintendo's profits dropped well below their usual with a profit of only $291 million. However so far that is a blip considering 2005's results. Simply put it just isn't true to say that Nintendo's profits are contunually declining.

At the end of the day Nintendo have been very profitable this generation (as profitable as the N64 generation) despite having a third place console that you consider to have been an abysmal failure. They have also built up a cash reserve of just over $8 billion. Yet you think its likely that they will have to pull out of the console business in two years? Sorry but that's ludicrous.

BTW I have a question for you. How would becoming a third party developer help Nintendo compared to being a console maker? Think about that for a while.

Don't get me wrong it does seem very likely that XBox is number two in hardware sales in Europe. However is it really the established number two player in Europe? As in are its sales really that much higher then GameCube? In the UK yes, but in Europe as a whole? I'd doubt that until I see sales figures that show otherwise.

Teasy said:
Master-Morld, I've seen Nintendo's last 10 annual financial reports, have you? You talk of declining profits, yet in 2005 Nintendo made a profit of $768 million. Which is up there with their best yearly results (only 2001 and 2002's results have been better in the last 10 years). Its true that in 2004 Nintendo's profits dropped well below thier usual with a profit of only $291 million. However so far that is a blip considering 2005's results. Simply put it just isn't true to say that Nintendo's profits are contunually declining.

The rest of your post is opinion and nothing more, so I won't argue point for point. However I will say this. Nintendo have been very profitable this generation (as profitable as the N64 generation) with a third place console that you claim to be an abysmal faliure. They currently have $8 billion in cash reserves. The idea that they will find is neccesary to pull out of the console market in 2 years time, just after releasing their next console, is ludicrous.

BTW I have a question for you. How would becoming a third party developer help Nintendo compared to being a console maker? Think about that for a while.

There is nothing to think about. They can simply focus efforts on their hand-helds and only worry about putting out the best software on a multi-platform basis that is guaranteed to sell more to a higher user base. For example imagine this gen if Nintendo put out some high quality games for the PS2. Sales would have been huge. Right now and for almost the past year people have pretty much stopped buying the GC. Sure they had a spike for RE4 but other than that it is pretty much a dead platform. Even a Nintendo rep used the exact comment "It looks like the platforms life is nearing its end"

If Revolution comes out and sells well initially (I think it will) but then fails to hold interest and starts slumping its support will evaporate. 3rd parties already have to be leary of supporting it since if they make a game for it and it uses the Rev controller and it bombs there is no chance of re-couping losses with a port. Unlike GC now they are paying for online play, hotspots, and a DL service. More money also has been spent into R&D for it. Therefore it will be a costly defeat if it ceases to sell well.

Also if the PSP gains momentum and is seen as a viable platform that will only hurt Nintendo. Look at the records PSP shattered in the UK. Dont discount PSPs future sales potential.

Like I said, poor sales were salvaged by a good exchange rate. You cant rely on that trend forever and if the $/Yen exchange was "not so favorable" this time things would look pretty bad to stockholders right about now.

Master-Mold said:
There is nothing to think about. They can simply focus efforts on their hand-helds and only worry about putting out the best software on a multi-platform basis that is guaranteed to sell more to a higher user base. <snip>

Microsoft could focus their efforts on Windows and only worry about putting out the best software on a multi-platform basis that is guaranteed to sell more to a higher user base (PS3). ;) Sorry to shatter your dreams, but Nintendo (the home console maker) isn't going anywhere.

There is everything to think about Master-Mold. Firstly I'm sure Nintendo could sell more games as a multi platform publisher, but how many more? Did you ever consider that the majority of people who want to play Nintendo games buy a Nintendo consoles for those games? Secondly there is a big difference in profit between selling your games on your own platform and selling your games as a third party. A third party publisher will typically make around $20 profit per game sold on a new release. A publisher selling a game on there own system will make more like $30 profit per game. Third Nintendo make a lot of money from third party console licensing fee's (as much as they do from there own game sales overall) and console peripherals, more revenue streams that would be lost. How many more games would Nintendo have to sell as a third party just to make the same money as they do now? Twice as many?.. more? There's a reason why Nintendo make more profits then EA despite the fact that EA sell many more games then Nintendo..

On to Revolution, do you actually know for a fact how much Nintendo has spent on its R&D vs GameCube? Because I don't think those figures have been made public. Though I don't see that it matters much considering Nintendo have more money in the bank now then they have had in the last 10 years despite Rev's R&D cost (well the same as in 2002 but more then all the other years). The download service will not end up being a cost but a profit with all those older games available to buy online. To be honest that could also pay for the online gaming service as well. The console itself isn't going to be very expensive either and Nintendo have plenty of cash in reserve to play with if they need it. Its incredible that some people see Nintendo as a company that will just disappear from its core market without a fight.. Nintendo aren't the longest lasting console manufacturer in the business because they run scared for no good reason.. Not to mention that retreating into the handheld market would do nothing but marginalize Nintendo making them more vulnerable.

Like I said, poor sales were salvaged by a good exchange rate. You cant rely on that trend forever and if the $/Yen exchange was "not so favorable" this time things would look pretty bad to stockholders right about now

They are only first quarter results. Have you checked out Sony's recent quarterly financials? Should they drop out as well ;) Nintendo did fine in its 2005 financials without much help from exchange rates and to be honest exchange rates in the past have hurt Nintendo more then helped them but they have always been profitable on a yearly basis. Your making a mountain out of a mole hill.

PSP will gain no such momemtum.(Momemtum being crushing Nintendo's 3rd Pillar and establishing itself as a viable platform for development.)

If you're watching weekly sales, you'll see PSP isnt going anywhere.

Rur0ni said:
PSP will gain no such momemtum.(Momemtum being crushing Nintendo's 3rd Pillar and establishing itself as a viable platform for development.)

If you're watching weekly sales, you'll see PSP isnt going anywhere.

Where are you from? Why are you doing this to this great board? You should know that PSP will be around for a long time. Why isn't going anywhere? NA and Europe sales look great.

Quick stat Einstein:

The PSP has sold more software in NA than the DS has through August.

Mckmas, be a little more respectful. Rurouni wasn't knocking PSP, he was just saying that he doesn't think the PSP will overtake the DS. He's not saying the DS will snuff out PSP, just that it'll have to take second place. Yeah, the market could always change around, especially if the PSP price drops, but so far DS is the one in charge.

Guys, guys... I'm sure your ideas and opinions are really interesting and entertaining - no, I didn't actually bother to read all of your posts - but this isn't the topic under which to discuss them.

Please look back up for the first post and read it again, and then adjust your behavior accordingly. Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back