Ninety-Nine Nights Interview - "In-game cinema is quality of pre-rendered"

This game does nothing forme. I also don't see why people keep pushing the shots of the lead character so much.

1) They're not terribly impressive (to me at least).

2) They're all low quality which doesn't help

3) The game is about massive combat, not intensely zoomed shots of a single character

4) The shots that do focus on the "action" are, well, depressing, but all these shots have been floating around FOREVER, so I'm sure they're very early. Some updated battle sequences would be appreciated.

Maybe not optimized.

PeterT said:
Looking at these shots I prefer the art direction of NNN over HS... a lot. But I agree that the clothing/armor textures in the closeups are less than stellar. Those might work in-game, but they better use higher-res material for cutscenes.

Maybe not fully optimized no?

-Perfect 360 dev compilers won't exist for another year" - Lee
-When to stop perfecting game optimisation?

Serenity Painted Death said:
This game does nothing forme. I also don't see why people keep pushing the shots of the lead character so much.

1) They're not terribly impressive (to me at least).

For a real-time game, they are. Actually, I haven't really seen anything more impressive so far... UT2K7 and GOW have different, more flashy art direction so it might appeal to more people, but technically they're far from this level.

Okay, so there's that Endless Saga screenshot too, but we don't know enough about it yet.

I'm not a complete tech-head. I don't really give a rat's ass whether or not this game or that is "technically" superior. That game's visuals are nowhere NEAR appealing as, say, Gears of War. And, isn't that the bottom line? I realize there is some subjectivity inherit in this, but I honestly fail to see what could be considered "top of the line" in those pics. The comment that the game rivals pre-rendered footage is also, of course, absurd. Maybe from many years ago.

I'm sure you could specifically elucidate the reasons why you say this is one of the best real-time demonstrations out there, but that is certainly lost in the translation to actual visuals. And really, if you look at the shots including all the action and the multiple guys on screen... they look... bad. I'm sure it looks better in motion however.

I simply fail to be impressed /by anything/ in those shots. The character looks good, but not exceptional. Perhaps the poor quality of the screens is hurting, but it isn't hurting /that much/. Further, what is the point of a shot zoomed in on her when the game is about massive battles?

The Endlass Saga shot looks WAY WAY better than this.

Serenity Painted Death said:
That game's visuals are nowhere NEAR appealing as, say, Gears of War. And, isn't that the bottom line?

You know, people's tastes tend to differ. GOW is on the border of mine, for example - almost too much to take, and the UT games have been beyond what I like for a long time. So the only subjective thing that can be argued is the technical part IMHO, and that's where that shot is undeniably better...

In what way? Perhaps I shouldn't even ask.

If you put those screens, even direct feed, in front of 100 people, and then showed them GeOW, UT2K7, MGS4... I would imagine 90 or more of them would prefer any of the latter.

I don't see the point of "technical superiority" when the /end result/ seems so... lacking in comparison.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/hardknock/s04.jpg

I realize that is the /worst/ pick, but come on! The character looks good... everything else? erm...

Moderator: Please, do not post pictures bigger than 800x600 directly. Use links or thumbnails.

Congrats, you've picked the oldest known image from the game ;)

And ever heard the saying, "eat sh*t - 10 billion flies couldn't be wrong"?

I'm fully aware that majority opinion doesn't make something so. I just don't see how anyone can honestly be more impressed with NNN than with any of those games I mentioned, graphically.

Unless perhaps they all have extensive experience developing games themselves... you know, .001% of the gaming community.

I, again, fail to see the point of touting something as "technically superior" when the vast majority of your target audience thinks a whole host of "technically inferior" games look much better. One also then fails to see the point of striving for technical superiority? Perhaps I'm alone on this, but those screens do virtually nothing for me.

People don't make games to fap to their own work, not caring if anyone else sees the same thing. I mean, they don't look BAD, but they're nowhere near as impressive as a whole host of other next-gen shots I've seen.

No one was talking about the target audience, btw. You know it's ok for people to have different opinions. And maybe some people like to look farther than what is artistic. We are on a tech forum in case you had not noticed ;)

You've already made your opinion on the look of the game known. Why reiterate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back