New Avalon demo (running on XP btw) and sample code

Richard

Mord's imaginary friend
Veteran
http://channel9.msdn.com/

Okay, I'd like to continue a discussion I've been trying to foment about this subject: Avalon + hobby programmers. Today we have initiate programmers testing their skills on 2D tetris clones and space invaders and whatnot. What do you guys think of Avalon's ability to transition amateurs' initial efforts from 2D to, say, small 3D apps? Do you think it will "take off"?

I can say the XML looks promising but it definitely feels like it's going to be a lot of work for more involved apps (not that I'm suggesting it would replace regular D3D/OGL apps) but anyway, looks easy enough and if he had imported an actual mesh it would look even easier. I do wish whoever was asking the questions was a bit more knowledgeable of the matter though. Instead of SM questions we have "what's a viewport" questions.

Still have no idea of MS's plans for Avalon in pre-LH OSs. Iceberg dead ahead captain!

Probably the worst cameraman of the world.
THE most anti-talented person ever.

Besides this I'm not really impressed by this: considering this guy is the uber-Avalon at MS and all he showed is some crappy red square moving with 10 mins typing.... I failed to see why it's a big deal.

T2k said:
Besides this I'm not really impressed by this: considering this guy is the uber-Avalon at MS and all he showed is some crappy red square moving with 10 mins typing.... I failed to see why it's a big deal.

It's a coder thing, just as the bouncing Amiga ball is a symbol of great power and intuition :)

Back