Nanostray 2: Breakin' the DS

fearsomepirate

Dinosaur Hunter
Veteran
It looks like the Nanostray 2 programmers have figured out ways to make the DS do stuff it wasn't designed to do. Metroid Hunters also seemed to push the machine way past its intended limits, the results should be interesting.

Our R&D discovered that the DS graphics hardware can actually do quite some more things than the technical specs tell. So using some tricks we were able to use the hardware to create a number of new of ’shaders’ that are not available in any other DS game so far. Our graphics system can do phong shaded textures, multi texturing, dual texture and environment mapping, ‘zbuffer off’ writes, real-time lighted particles and some other stuff. A lot of work also has gone into the particle system. Where Nanostray 1 used just some dozen of particles on screen Nanostray 2 uses often a couple of hundreds. The new particle engine is not only eyecandy. All particles can now also have physical behavior to allow things like gravity and collision.
\

Original Spanish:
Nuestro equipo de investigación y desarrollo descubrió que el hardware gráfico de Nintendo DS puede hacer bastantes más cosas de lo que las especificaciones técnicas dicen. Así que usando algunos trucos hemos podido usar el hardware para crear una serie de nuevos shaders que no están disponibles para cualquier otro juego de DS hasta ahora. Nuestro sistema de gráficos puede hacer texturas con pong shading, multitexturas, texturación y environment mapping dual, escrituras “zbuffer off”, partículas iluminadas en tiempo real y algunas otras cosas.

Spanish here: http://www.vandal.net/cgi-bin/verreportaje.pl?n=90
Translation here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142887

Since Factor 5 is gone, maybe Nintendo can get these guys to design a graphics engine for Wii.

I already have another Nanostray thread made here. But what the heck...

Since Factor 5 is gone, maybe Nintendo can get these guys to design a graphics engine for Wii.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe German developers really have a knack for hardware...

Anyways, Nanostray 2 looks to be like the a Gradius V lite, which isn't a bad thing. (Shin'En must have be real fans of shmups, and they seem to be getting many things right about Japanese STGs like small hitboxes and such; a concept of which many other American and some European developers still just don't quite understand.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to admit, the my daughter's little pink DS has impressed the heck out of me. Fun little gaming unit. :)

Can't wait to see what they can stretch out of it.

Holy....is that really on the DS?

The first one looked just as good, so yeah, what you see is what you get. Shin'en very talented when it comes to maxing the abilities of handhelds. You you see Iridion 3D on the GBA when it was first released? Sure, the game wasn't that good (ok, it sucked) but the graphics were mind blowing.

The first one looked just as good, so yeah, what you see is what you get. Shin'en very talented when it comes to maxing the abilities of handhelds. You you see Iridion 3D on the GBA when it was first released? Sure, the game wasn't that good (ok, it sucked) but the graphics were mind blowing.

Ok I've played Nanostray extensively and it just doesn't look as good as pt 2 imo. There were definitely some good parts but N2 has a certain upgraded polish to it graphically that the 1st didn't have. I think there's been a definite improvement, even though pt 1 really did kick ass graphically. :)

great thread. i just got Nanostray for my DS and it's jaw-dropping. and FUN! the NDS is my favorite possession right now..!

What's stopping you from getting into the same car again and driving to a video games store and buying another Lite?

The fact that a couple millions people had the same idea those last months ? :D Here in Europe, DS was only recently restocked to decent levels after absolutely huge Christmas sales where the thing was sold out pretty much everywhere.

The fact that a couple millions people had the same idea those last months ? :D
Welll pardon me then hehe! I assumed people weren't quite as crazy over the DS as they were a year ago when it launched. Or at l4east that Nintendo had increased production sufficiently to allow there to be stock in most stores.. :cool:

Peace.

What's stopping you from getting into the same car again and driving to a video games store and buying another Lite?

Peace.

Better nog get a lite if you want to play nanostray. I got a lite and as with 90+% of the lites out there the D-pad is total crap. It just doesnt register diagonal movements (atleast, not untill you press really really hard and even then its rubbish) so nanostray becomes a bitch to play.

Welll pardon me then hehe! I assumed people weren't quite as crazy over the DS as they were a year ago when it launched. Or at l4east that Nintendo had increased production sufficiently to allow there to be stock in most stores.. :cool:

Peace.

Actually, they are much, much more crazy than at launch. DS sales were good at launch, dropped like a brick during the SW drought of the first months, then picked up and never went down once Nintendogs and Brain Training appeared (and once the Lite was released in EU/US). Nintendo has increased production several times already (up to 2.5 millions unit a month), but it seems they can't produce enough of the little thing.

Back