My hard drive is dying again

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
The last one was replaced, now this one is dying.
I'm beginning to suspect that the environment I'm in is responsible.

I've read that Western Digital drives are sensative to temperature and humidity. For me this is an issue as Australian weather, especially in my room can exceed 30 degrees celcius.

Can you guys recommend a good hard drive that's sturdy?

Funny clicking noises have only started today.
I've finished a disk scan and there are errors.

my 150G raptor has been going strong for about 8 months now! lol.

dunno about 'best' drives, so i just threw money at the issue.

30 celsius in your room? you don't have air conditioning?

Operating temperatures of my HD (According to censors) tends to go above 40 degrees C, these aren't on hot days...

Meh, sounds like you just got two duds, rather than WDs not being fit for your environment.

HDDs are cheap now; go for RAID 1 so you won't worry about it happening next time.

my gpu censor stays around (celsius) 40ish, cpu around 38ish, ambient case temp around 19-20 (after hours of gameplay). course i keep AC on and i recently realized that after i replaced my motherboard a month or so ago, i put it back under the desk without replacing the side cover. (i wonder if that improves or hampers the cooling effort?)

Operating temperatures of my HD (According to censors) tends to go above 40 degrees C, these aren't on hot days...

40C operating shouldn't be a problem for any drive. Most drives are rated up to ~65C environmental, though it might be worth looking up the specs for your drive.

Sounds to me like you've had bad luck.

You're right.
Why do I always pick the losers? :???:

Are hard drives easy to kill or something?
I know it's been over a year since I cleaned my case, could dust be the problem?

40C operating shouldn't be a problem for any drive. Most drives are rated up to ~65C environmental, though it might be worth looking up the specs for your drive.

Sounds to me like you've had bad luck.

Seagate might do the trick for you. I have seen system with seagates in them that run in non climate control buildings with out problems for years here in Texas.

You might want to run a low level diagnostic like spinrite or Western Digital's. The WD one I believe will either correct the errors or print an RMA form for you.

Back