Music Industry makes Smart Move, Shock!

You have a range from 10-15-20 euros and I expect everybody to just buy the 10 euro ones. I don't think this will be good for bands.

Unless they price their deluxe versions for no more than the price of current CDs, I'm not interested. It's just 40-50 mins of semi-random waveforms, it's not WORTH MORE, no matter how much extra shit they throw in there.

OK, so let me get this straight...

The middle tier of Universal's CDs will be sold in a new "super jewel box" designed to be stronger and more durable than the standard jewel box. Universal Music plans to absorb the extra manufacturing costs, estimated to be about 3 to 5 euro cents per unit.

Although it does not set retail prices, Universal Music expects the deluxe CDs to sell for an average of 19.99 euros ($25.61), the standard for 14.99 euros and the basic for 9.99 euros. The group is part of France's Vivendi (VIV.PA: Quote, Profile, Research).
So they're proposing to spend an extra €0.05 per unit on manufacturing and charge an extra €5.00 on the final product? And this is good for the consumer?

The basic package will be used to stimulate sales for catalog albums that have been on sale for a while, "similar to a paperback book," Hole said.
And the cheap-ass editions will be old stuff, eg. Abba's greatest hits volume 12, which has been on sale for €9.99 for decades, but they're going to take away the jewel box now?

Max Hole (Great name for record industry exec!) said:
"We thought we should reboot the consumer's experience of buying CDs," said Max Hole, executive vice president for marketing and A&R at Universal Music Group International.
What needs rebooting is the record industry executives, not the consumer.

To the music industry: suck my balls, you won't see any money from me for the new CD's costing 15 and up. I order my (original) CD's from SIngapore for $9 and if that ceases, I'll stop bying them alltogether.

The artist get but a fraction of the money anyway, that won't change much anyway. They get ripped off just like we do.

Last edited by a moderator:
The pricing may be BS, but I think the segmetation idea is the intelligent part. Heck, even in China legit box/collector sets sell pretty good because of all the extras.

DudeMiester said:
The pricing may be BS, but I think the segmetation idea is the intelligent part. Heck, even in China legit box/collector sets sell pretty good because of all the extras.
I agree with both points. Segmentation should make the market more diverse.

epic

$10 for a standard CD like you mostly find on the market today. I see no reason not to do so, record companies make far to much off of the discs already, while the actual artist get basically nothing.

I'd like to see $10 standard discs, and ~$18 bundel that includes extras like unreleased tracks or possibly a making of.

It won't be $10 for the today's standard CD. It will be just a naked slim pack without the inlay even. Like today's singles. Totall bulls**t.

Back