Music genome project

Moloch

God of Wicked Games
Veteran
"The company Pandora Media takes a different tack for its online music-recommendation service. When you tell Pandora a song you like or have bought, it doesn't mine its sales database for records of other purchases by those who have bought the song. Instead, it looks for songs with a similar musical profile, based on a database of 300,000 songs rated on up to 400 characteristics like rhythmic syncopation, vamping and vocal harmonies. To analyze the songs, Pandora has hired Bay Area musicians like San Francisco jazz guitarist Bob Coons. 'When Mr. Coons describes a particular song, he uses phrases like the "complexity of the chromaticism" and "richness of the harmonic structure." He has studied the chord structure in Britney Spears' "Oops I Did It Again," and reports that it is "actually fairly complex," ' the Wall Street Journal Online reports."
I put in meshuggah and it played some other similar bands and also some bands that were only similar in that they're metal, but it's not generic metal, death metal stuff like bloodbath, dying fetus and drawn and quartered

Humus said:
Very cool. :)

I bumped into something similar some time ago, which was also useful for finding new bands I like:
http://www.music-map.com/
It does need some work though.
When I input the band Tool, it came up more often then not, with bands that sound nothing like tool.. Korn for instance.
We tool fans despise that nu metal crap so it's hard to see how the guy connected the two bands.
Jon sings about stupid stuff and whines and maynard sings about more interesting subjects, but there is still some stupid things in his earlier lyrics though, but for the most part Tool's lyrics are vastly interesting and you and pull alot of wierd stuff out of them.
It did do good when I input Meshuggah, it played some good death metal and some other bands that do the odd meter deal.

Interesting, gonna try it out.

One thing I can see it having problems with our bands that use many, many different styles. For example, one of my favorite bands is Mr. Bungle, Mike Pattons first band. They use such a wide range of things and styles that I can see the system having trouble with it.

I'll probably test: Opeth, Dark Tranquility, Isis, Neurosis, Pelican, and Symphony X. I'm curious to see what it finds for Opeth, they are fairly popular but often times even though I love Opeth, bands that are suggested as being similair I hate.

Well, already ran into an issue. They dont have any Dark Tranquility. But their suggestion was rather Coal Chamber........ yuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
radeonic2 said:
I am clearly delusional by thinking that Tool is anything but ridiculous tripe that should be wiped from the earth in a great fire.
I agree! (At least Trent Reznor knows he's full of shit. Which is why The Hand That Feeds is such a ridiculously entertaining song. It's talking about "BITING THE HAND THAT FEEDS" yadda yadda yadda, but then it's a perfect parody of every pop song out there. With the silly solo for dancing and everything. Brilliant. Don't know if it's intentional or not, either.)

I completely disagree with its recommendations, though. Tool and NIN have nothing in common, despite what silly fourteen year olds may think (Tool is prog-rock tripe, NIN is really good pop music masquerading as angsty crap. It's all a big lie!). NIN and Ministry are a ways away, Front 242 is a ways away, Bowie is a ways away, Depeche Mode is nowhere close, etc. It seems to be primarily just another Amazon-esque form of recommendation by looking at what other people like, despite their claims to the contrary.

Further evidence: If they were doing what they claim to be doing in the WSJ article, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club would be six inches away from The Jesus and Mary Chain. J&MC don't even appear with BRMC. Considering BRMC is often called the Black Rebel Mary Chain, you do the math.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ran into another issue with Dark Tranquility. Seems Pandora have an entire discography for them than me. I own every Dark Tranquility (yes, even Skydancer) yet they list a song as DT's that I dont have, and cant find.

radeonic2 said:
It does need some work though.

After having played with it for a while I have to agree. It popped up a bunch of interesting bands that I'll check out, but mostly I got stuff that differed more than a little.

Humus said:
After having played with it for a while I have to agree. It popped up a bunch of interesting bands that I'll check out, but mostly I got stuff that differed more than a little.

Needs some work, but wow, it has really hit the head for me on some good bands when I did a search on Porcupine Tree. Hmm, great music to spend a day off listening to.

Another complaint is that it lacks quite a lot of the bands I like. I can understand if it doesn't include way out of the mainstream bands like Finntroll, but some well-known bands like Hammerfall is not there.

Humus said:
Another complaint is that it lacks quite a lot of the bands I like. I can understand if it doesn't include way out of the mainstream bands like Finntroll, but some well-known bands like Hammerfall is not there.

Haha, I would have never taken you as a death/black/folk metal fan Humus. Interesting.

Relativily though, even a well known extreme metal band like Hammerfall is still very unknown.

At first I was rather impressed and I even considered subscription for a moment but the longer I used it, the worse it got. There is a definitive lack of European Metal/Rock bands. And I am not talking about underground stuff here but bands that make it into the TOP 100 Album charts in many European countries.

Sometimes they did suprise me, e.g. they have the Communic album which is the best fucking Metal release this year and far from mainstream but it wasn't enough to keep me interested.

For my music taste, it is utterly unusable. I guess it's great when you're into American NuMetal and chugga-chugga-riffing Mallcore but typing in Bruce Dickinson and getting the aforemented shit after a while plainly sucks. Also, they have an abundance of 80s Hair Metal which might be similar from a purely technical point of view but I really don't want that shit to poison my playlist. Oh, and too many live albums.

L233 said:
At first I was rather impressed and I even considered subscription for a moment but the longer I used it, the worse it got. There is a definitive lack of European Metal/Rock bands. And I am not talking about underground stuff here but bands that make it into the TOP 100 Album charts in many European countries.

Sometimes they did suprise me, e.g. they have the Communic album which is the best fucking Metal release this year and far from mainstream but it wasn't enough to keep me interested.

For my music taste, it is utterly unusable. I guess it's great when you're into American NuMetal and chugga-chugga-riffing Mallcore but typing in Bruce Dickinson and getting the aforemented shit after a while plainly sucks. Also, they have an abundance of 80s Hair Metal which might be similar from a purely technical point of view but I really don't want that shit to poison my playlist. Oh, and too many live albums.
What is this chugga chugga I keep hearing about?
I ask because people say meshuggah does that also and if you think they're nu metal you dont have a clue.

radeonic2 said:
What is this chugga chugga I keep hearing about?
I ask because people say meshuggah does that also and if you think they're nu metal you dont have a clue.

But Meshuggah does it in 20 different time singnatures!

I'd personally call Meshuggah complicated metal core.

Skrying said:
Haha, I would have never taken you as a death/black/folk metal fan Humus. Interesting.

Relativily though, even a well known extreme metal band like Hammerfall is still very unknown.

:) Yeah, I'm quite into metal music. Recently I've particularly enjoyed some folk metal.
I wouldn't call Hammerfall an "extreme metal band". They are very mainstream for being a metal band. They've been on the top-10 charts in Sweden several times. I was surprised to see them not listed, while for instance Dimmu Borgir was included.

Skrying said:
But Meshuggah does it in 20 different time singnatures!

I'd personally call Meshuggah complicated metal core.
metalcore impies they do hardcore breakdowns, no?

radeonic2 said:
metalcore impies they do hardcore breakdowns, no?

Ehh, its more of the chugga chugga thing. Meshuggah is pretty good, dont get me wrong, I just think as a band they are way over rated, and besides having songs that often change time singnatures, their music repeats its self an amazing amount, and I find the vocals lacking.

Skrying said:
Ehh, its more of the chugga chugga thing. Meshuggah is pretty good, dont get me wrong, I just think as a band they are way over rated, and besides having songs that often change time singnatures, their music repeats its self an amazing amount, and I find the vocals lacking.
Have you ever heard meshuggah live?
Jens is a monster vocalist.
Repeats it self alot?
maybe you're talking about one their two or three riff wonders like spasm or elastic?
Spasm is fucking heavy despite the repetitive nature (just one note played at different timings for the chorus) but it sounds really heavy with the lead guitar played some creepy 3 note deal and the guitars tuned to to Bb.. a whole octave below the regular 7 sting tuning,
I find rock music these days way more repetitive.
I think meshuggahs current master pieces are I (incredibaly technicale) and catch33 for the really wierd riffing.

Back