MS answer top 10 Q's about x360; Won't stream vids from XP

I didn't actually listen to the stuff, are you 100% sure that a Media Center PC is needed? I have read on many occasions that all you would need for video playback is XP SP2 and a copy of Windows Media Connect.

I find it hard to believe that something with the following description isn't going to be all we need.

"Media Connect supports many formats, including Windows Media Audio (WMA), Windows Media Video (WMV), MP3, JPEG, MPEG-1, and more. In addition, a growing number of device manufacturers are supporting Media Connect on a variety of device types, including digital audio receivers, digital media receivers, and connected-DVD players. These devices can also support the playback of protected content from online stores, giving you access to literally hundreds of thousands of songs, all of which can be played through your home network."

scooby_dooby said:
All my friends absolutely love my setup with my xbox, they just can't believe how cool it is, "You do all this off your xbox?? WOW!" I know for a fact people would love this if it were made available for Joe Public. And MS could do it, but they won't.
It's already been detailed why MS won't do it, and there are good reasons. MS could also let you run arbitrary code on the 360, but they won't do that either.

ALso, given aaaaoooo's coments, codecs are probably out of the question, but I see no reason to believe Sony wouldn't offer basic video playback. Why wouldn't they? They have no competing product to push, so why not include this into PS3? It only makes sense.
When was the last time absolutely everything Sony did made sense? They may have it. They may not. I doubt they value video playback from PC as highly as you do.

Do you even read my posts? Of course this is obvious, it doesn't make it COOL! Why are you defending this? You prefer less functionality? You would rather NOT play video? Where exactly are you coming from?
I didn't say it made it cool. It just makes it needlessly redundant.
I prefer more functionality, provided it comes with no more responsibility.
I would rather play video.
I am coming from a disinterested point of view.

Have any more questions? It was already obvious MS is promoting MC stuff with this, yet you ram the point over and over. We get it, trust me. And me saying this does not mean I automatically disagree with every point you made.

- Here's what xb1 and a $50 modchip can get you: http://www.xboxmediacenter.de/info_project.htm
That's not the question. What does the official Extender get you?

If you're going to count mods, you're making an inherently unfair comparison. Why won't MS allow you to run Linux on it? How about NES emulation? How about your pirated copy of Ninja Gaiden?

It's needlessly redundant to have streaming video on 360?

How is it needlessly redundant? You have to spend hundreds of dollars to attain streaming capablities(i.e. purhcase a MC-PC) how would providing this for FREE be redundant? You make no sense.

Your missing the point, both these companies are pushing these consoles as media centres, as the "hub" of your entertainment experience. These consoles not only connect to your PC out of the box, but they also output their media thorough component video outs, and optical audio outs, all into your nice sourround sound set-up in the living room.

It's only the logical progression to have these consolkes playback the Audio AND Video on the PC. It's networked, it's hooked up to your reciever, your big screen TV...hmm what's the obvious next step?

If Sony doesn't offer it either, then they will have both missed the boat completely. Over the next 5 years people are going to be increasingly interested in merging the CONTENT on their PC's with the EQUIPMENT in their living rooms. Consoles provide the perfect mechanism to deliver this. If they don't, then they will have missed the boat and instead 3rd party "set-top" boxes will fill that void.

"It's already been detailed why MS won't do it, and there are good reasons. MS could also let you run arbitrary code on the 360, but they won't do that either. "

What good reason? If you can provide me with a single valid reason NOT to support basic mpg and wmv playback I'm all ears. I don't consider selling unrelated software in an unrelated market a "valid" reason.

Providing a simple media player that plays video, is nowheer near the equivalent of them letting you run unsigned code. Where do you come up with these comparisons?

So, by your logic, streaming MP3 is also comparable to allowing unsigned code? What's the diference between a mpg and a mp3? Nothing except filesize.

scooby_dooby said:
It's needlessly redundant to have streaming video on 360?
Read the context. I was clearly responding to your rant about MS supporting MC stuff with the 360. I say that's very obvious and doesn't need you harping on it.

What good reason? If you can provide me with a single valid reason NOT to support basic mpg and wmv playback I'm all ears. I don't consider selling unrelated software in an unrelated market a "valid" reason.

Providing a simple media player that plays video, is nowheer near the equivalent of them letting you run unsigned code. Where do you come up with these comparisons?

So, by your logic, streaming MP3 is also comparable to allowing unsigned code? What's the diference between a mpg and a mp3? Nothing except filesize.
Again, read the context. It's amazing how, even with quoting, you manage to take my responses and pair them with unrelated points of yours.

I said there's good reason for MS not allowing you to play back all video. You keep mixing playing back all video with playing back video from XP in your head. It makes your points less focused.

Not supporting basic video playback(wmv + mpg) is LAME.

No convoluted logic you come uo with will change that fact.

Beyond that the Xetender is very exciting, and I'm looking forward to installing MCE and using it's PVR capabilities with my ALL-In-Wonder, through the xbox.

I wonder...could the MCE stream liveTV digitally to the X360, therefore not losing any IQ? It would be cool to watch live TV through the 360, having "invites" pop-up if your friends come online or whatever...

scooby_dooby said:
Not supporting basic video playback(wmv + mpg) is LAME.

No convoluted logic you come uo with will change that fact.
They do support it, just not as extensively as you want. And yes, that's corporate politics for you. I'm not debating that.

Beyond that the Xetender is very exciting, and I'm looking forward to installing MCE and using it's PVR capabilities with my ALL-In-Wonder, through the xbox.

I wonder...could the MCE stream liveTV digitally to the X360, therefore not losing any IQ? It would be cool to watch live TV through the 360, having "invites" pop-up if your friends come online or whatever...
Should be possible. The WinSupersite article I linked to earlier in the thread had a blurb that was almost identical to what you talked about (IIRC).

Back