Mobos that support bootup from usb device?

demonic

Regular
Is there a list of mobos that support booting from usb devices?

Also, im wanting to build a dedicated linux router. But using the lowest power requirements.

i.e
- usb for the hd / bootup device.
- passively cooled psu / low wattage psu
- passively cooled usb
- dual lan on mobo

or i might just say feck it and get a 1u server from ebay lol.

Has anyone built a dedicated usb linux router or are there any articles on-line?

I dont particularly want another loud box in the corner, more like a slim-line device that sits in the corner and is more or less silent.

Any help / advice welcome :)

An Asus WL500G or Linksys WRT54G (and the newer models) already run Linux, and there are many interesting builds for them.

If you want to DIY, a good choice is a VIA EPIA board. Small, silent, passively cooled (some models) and cheap. And there are many nice and small enclosures for them, especially those from Silverstone.

There's always IDE to CF adapters, they aren't very expensive, and CF cards are getting really cheap.

Like: http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=16

Personally, I use a WRT54GL I loaded DD-WRT on just as a firewall. Works good, it's silent, and lower power than any PC you can build. One of the DD-WRT compatible routers with a USB port would be a great little router.

Just go download the manuals for the mobos you're looking at. They'll have the BIOS options.

Btw. When you made your own Linux router, why not add a harddisk (or two, in RAID 1), and make it into a server as well? Shares, web, FTP, domain controller, mail server, and everything else as well. If that sounds too hard, just use a router with an interesting firmware, or something like OpenFiler.

Btw. When you made your own Linux router, why not add a harddisk (or two, in RAID 1), and make it into a server as well? Shares, web, FTP, domain controller, mail server, and everything else as well. If that sounds too hard, just use a router with an interesting firmware, or something like OpenFiler.

I already have a server :smile:

I have found an Intel P4 1.8 with 256MB of Ram. Im going to put 3 network cards in it, as thats what I need. Plus purchase a 2gb usb key, for the firewall.

Now I just need to know how to install IPCop to the key. I have the .img file, but the manual for IPCop isnt that helpful.

If anyone has some answers, do tell :)

Back