McAfee Thinks ATITool.sys is Malware now?

Mize

3dfx Fan
Legend
Woke up to find last night's AV scan found that ATITool.sys was infected with "New Malware.z" but McAfee's site has no information on this supposed trojan. This wouldn't be the first time McAfee has generated a false-positive so I'm suspicious that the file is fine.

Anyone else see this?

I dunno, but each time I update the ATi driver on me dad's PC, norton firewall tells me the driver is trying to phone home. No friggin idea why a graphics driver should need to access the internet, but methinks it shouldn't do it.

Maybe it's related, dunno.

Guden Oden said:
I dunno, but each time I update the ATi driver on me dad's PC, norton firewall tells me the driver is trying to phone home. No friggin idea why a graphics driver should need to access the internet, but methinks it shouldn't do it.

Maybe it's related, dunno.

That's cli.exe or whatever that uses .net framework. If you look it should be only connecting to 127.0.0.0 (localhost).

So what's the point of doing THAT then, is it just yet another of those unfathomable MS-things or something? *confused*

Guden Oden said:
So what's the point of doing THAT then, is it just yet another of those unfathomable MS-things or something? *confused*

Yes...something innovative like DLLs.

Turns out the McAfee thing is almost certainly a false positive as it's detected "hueristically" (or however you spell that word that means it's unknown code that might be a virus).

Back