Look, Ma! New Hands! Mighty Mice Regrow Organs

Deep breaths.........don't pass out.....

She and her colleagues wanted to find out what other parts of this strain of mice would grow back, so they snipped off the tip of a tail, severed a spinal cord, poked an eye and cauterized various internal organs. Researchers systematically amputated digits and damaged various organs of the mice, including the heart, liver and brain, most of which grew back.

The results stunned scientists because if such regeneration is possible in this mammal, it might also be possible in humans.

The researchers also made a remarkable second discovery: When cells from the regenerative mice were injected into normal mice, the normal mice adopted the ability to regenerate. And when the special mice bred with normal mice, their offspring inherited souped-up regeneration capabilities.

mouseregen8az.jpg

Wired News: Mighty Mice Regrow Organs

You just know there's a guy in the lab thats stabbing himself with a needle right about now.........Do not let Dr. Connors find out......

You just know there's a guy in the lab thats stabbing himself with a needle right about now.........Do not let Dr. Connors find out......

When I read this I was thinking wolverine. :)

This is where they need to be careful. It seems these regenative properties are communicable. Imagine if this were in humans. While in theory risk is low, if some type of alteration proved deadly and fairly contageous it could be another HIV like outbreak--this time human created.

Really cool in theory, but the fact this stuff is passed onto offspring and can be transmitted by cells is no joking matter.

Yeah I am being over dramatic, but you got to know there are coocks out there doing all kinds of human experiments. I know there are a couple teams working on human cloning. Without proper testing and protocal this could be that fine line where a serious screwup could hurt a lot of people.

very interesting..... dunno what to think about it yet, but really interesting.
part that surprized me the most is that this capability can be transferred and passed to next generation....

For me it was that they only had to transfer cells from the regen mice to any regular mice, the regular mice became regen mice.....kinda like a virus, but good for you!

Back