Just a few hours until my plane leaves for the US; Americans beware!

Guden Oden

Legend
My posting here will most likely change from "eccentric" to just plain "sporadic" for the next two weeks, so nobody go make any good/fun posts while I'm gone, okay? ;)

I was hoping to get the DS browser for my Lite, but alas, that was not to be. Thanks Nintendo for not supporting my intarwebs addiction!

Anyone knows where one could go see some good stand-up acts in either the Palo Alto/SF or NYC areas without having to either make reservations ahead or putting up a silly amount of cash for it? I'd like to experience something like that while I'm there.

REMEMBER ME?!!!111ONE~!!ELEVEN1!

Just 2 more days and then I go back home again. NY is CRAZY... How people can live here is beyond me, thought London was crowded, noisy; is NOTHING in comparison. :p

Bought 2 PC games; Prey (inna tin box) and Titan Quest. Also bought a nice digital SLR, a long dream of mine, a Pentax K100D, and 512MB + 4GB SD flashcards for it. Great camera, I think lol... I haven't been able to check out any of the pics yet. It got good score at dpreviews anyway haha, and I didn't get ripped off on the price either. Paid $170 inc tax for the 4GB card, think that is pretty OK, esp with swedish standards...

Anyway, seeya in a couple days then, luvs ya all! :D

In NyC there are about 3-4 comedy clubs that are worth the price of admission, and you generally dont have to reserve (there are usually spots). One of them is called 'comedy club' and its hilarious, with a lot of famous celebs and SnL comedians that frequent it. Little over 1 hour, 5 people do 15 minute sketches or so. You watch and drink beer. Highly recommended.

Egads. Been awake now for over 26 hours straight, and I can't seriously go to bed for another 6 or so hours. :p That, or else I'll wake up around 3AM and can't go back to sleep for hours. Flying 'against' timezones sucks, these days at least... When I was young and spry, I'd barely flinch at staying awake this long, hah.

Spent pretty much a full day travelling, or waiting around TO travel. Woke up roughly 9AM eastern US time, packed a little, had breakfast, packed some more, waited for airport shuttle to arrive at 1:15, spent around 1.5H bouncing and jolting around in a bigass minivan driven by slightly deranged (and completely safety-nonconscious) driver who sat unbelted with left arm dangling out of the side window, talking on a handsfree cellphone during much of the trip.

Then we queued for way too long on JFK airport - signs were nonexistant, directions almost as bad, electronic ticket machines even worse. Aren't those supposed to make things EASIER? Besides... You'd think the staff working at an airport would have done this sort of stuff before - helping people and stuff I mean - apparantly not! Must have been first day at the job for all of them, and they all spoke broken english. Service has really gone downhill in the US since last time I was there. As I recall, EVERYBODY was very polite, very helpful in the past. This time, me and my dad were met with uninterested and bored looks and even outright nonchalance time and time again, from cashiers, waiters, all kinds of people. Even those whose job it is to point people in the right direction. Started off at JFK right after landing from Amsterdam, we arrived late at night, airport was nearly empty. We asked a woman wearing some kind of helpdesk attire, whom was busy speaking to a colleague, about the way to the airtrain. 'You go there and right and out and take the stairs' or somesuch she rambles off extremely quickly in like 3 seconds, then immediately turns her back on us to continue her extremely ingrossing conversation with her workmate - whom undoubtedly was ALSO supposed to be doing something other than talking to each other. To cut this sidetrack short, her quick description really isn't what you're looking for when you've just come off an 8.5 hour long, cramped flight and is all tired and rumpled after having spent hours already on a previous flight and sitting around on amsterdam's international airport and it's now close-ish to 3AM in the morning, and you've had to queue in line for 15+ minutes for that REDICULOUS security check you crazy americans force on everybody foolish enough to come visit you... :p And that was BEFORE those kafkaesque questionaires and procedures were augmented with a ban on soaps and lipgloss and deodorants and I don't know what the funk else really. Great timing that one by the way - they instituted that little gem just the day before me and my dad left SF for NY. GAH!

ANYway... We find our way to our gate, we waste time until it's time to board; and they start that nearly an hour before the flight's take-off time (which is 18:20). We sit and eat our sandwiches until we're amongst the last to get up and get in line with still plenty of time to spare until last call. During our ritual stowing procedure getting our stuff up into the bins overhead and ourselves into those much too small seats to be really all that comfortable, I'm asked by a flight attendant to take a sip of the pepsi bottle that we bought in the terminal building past the security checkpoint. I mean, get the F%¤# outta here! But alright, I don't want to get shot by swat police or something like that so I take a big gulp. Not that big a deal one might think, because I bought that soda to drink it (even though pepsi is cloy and overly sweetened sewage compared to coke), it's still STUPID, because all it does is add irritation and paranoia. What if I'd been full and not interested in drinking anymore? Do I get thrown off the plane or what? There won't be terrorists jumping out of every toothpaste tube all of a sudden because of some supposed thing having been unravelled in britain (which might just be another government-invented scare-hoax like several others), just as there weren't terrorists jumping out of every set of nail clippers or shoe heel either in the years after seven-eleven.

Also, once we start taxiing - slowly - the pilot informs us there are significant delays due to many planes stacked up ahead of us, and we end up sitting there crawling along with engines idling for another thirty minutes or so before we get into the air. No wonder the air is atrocious in NY... I mean, geez. You got traffic jams even on your airports for chrissakes! Really. Air quality is the worst I've ever experienced I think, truly terrible. Feels as if those few days I spent there shaved years off my life expectancy. Surely anybody who has walked a couple blocks through manhattan's overcrowded streets during rush hour understands we CAN'T keep such a lifestyle up, it just isn't feasible in the long (or even short) run.

Once in the air tho, the flight is very nice and smooth. The Boing 777 is a much nicer aircraft overall than the 747 that me and my dad rode west across the atlantic. It's quieter, more comfortable (to a degree anyway), roomier (again, to a degree), private LCD screens in every backrest... I do miss the adjustable air nozzles tho, I guess airlines are doing away with them to save fuel - the atmosphere was fairly stuffy in the cabin I have to say with almost all seats taken. The 747 didn't have those nozzles either by the way.

I also had a seriously obese old hag of a woman sitting right behind me at the window seat who apparantly had not understood the reason for armrests when getting in and out of her chair, for she insisted on taking a firm grip on my backrest and tugging HARD to shift her considerable bulk up or down, making my own little world literally quake for a few moments. If that monster was your granny - or even mother - I don't care. She was fat, ugly, wrinkled and disgusting. The cabin crew had to get her a seatbelt extension because she was so fat for chrissakes. At least she didn't smell...not that I felt anyway...

I should add that riding a 777 is almost a joy - apart from the dutch you get spouted in your ear from the intercom system. At least if you fly KLM, so don't do that. Fly KLM, I mean. Fly with some other airline where it doesn't sound as if the purser is constantly sneezing boogers at you through the loudspeaker when he talks. British Airways, for example. At least there people ought to talk so one can freakin understand them...

Dutch aside, we arrived at amsterdam schchchhsspcchhoolll whatever airport, I bought a Tomy Flip Flap solar cell-driven plant from one of the giftshops. It's indescribable in words, so I won't even try. It was then a bit past 01:00 EST, with neither of us having had any sleep so far. Had breakfast on the plane at eleven. In the evening! :D

Our connecting flight back to sweden took us another couple hours, plus about one and a half hours of flight time and then some extra here once we landed. Which brings me to my present condition. Ha.

Hey buddy. When you come around to it, tell us all about your vacation. I can't wait to hear how your adventure went in the US. What did you do? Did you have a good time? Where did you go, all that good stuff. Tell us everything!

Hey buddy. When you come around to it, tell us all about your vacation. I can't wait to hear how your adventure went in the US.
Oh gods! I fell asleep, haha... Couldn't stay awake any longer, so a couple hours of shut-eye, I am now more mentally balanced. :D

Overall... Trip was GREAT.

Of course, traffic was BAD, crowding was BAD (in SF and NY and Santa Cruz, towards the afternoon anyway, but NOT in Sunnyvale - you can walk kilometers along the very busy El Camino Real - which we lived right on - and meet like 3 people at most no matter what time of day), and the air was BAD. Most everything was nice though!

Food - great! :D Not always all that cheap, restaurant prices seem to have hiked themselves up a bit compared to sweden, and not just inflation since my last visit. It tastes quite nice however, can't think of a single meal I was dissatisfied with. Other than the soy chicken and rice on the plane back across the atlantic, but that hardly counts... I should have picked the macaroni and cheese, my dad said that was nice. Oh, and you get LOTS of it too. I must have gained weight. :-? I gorged myself on american pancakes all I could. Ate at a diner on the way out of santa cruz towards hw17 - highly recommended eaterie, the flame-broiled burgers they have there are great. Also found a nice diner not far from our hotel on El Camino that had awesome pancakes. No noticeable aftertaste of baking soda, and just a hint of sweetness, oh golly. John's famous Calzone pizza though... Well, it was nice (and HUGE; me and my dad split one), but not incredible. The NY cheese cake at the same place though... My goodness. It was divine!

Santa Cruz was crazy, we went there me + dad on a saturday or sunday, I can't quite remember. Not much people early in the day, towards afternoon... PACKED. Boardwalk was kinda lame, overcommercialized. Beach was really nice. Ocean was absolutely ICE COLD. Is it ever warm enough to bathe? Haha, not that it would really have mattered - I wouldn't have gone swimming anyway. I sunburnt my calves there, not bad though, I was all OK again two days after that little mishap, and my calves did that Nietzsche thing - what doesn't kill them makes them stronger. They didn't get burned again after that.

We went SF too. First time by car, arriving from the south by fw101 was...incredible. The view one gets of the city as one passes that mountain at south SF is nothing short of breathtakingly spectacular. IMO anyway. Pier 59 was...an experience. As usual, very crowded. So was the traffic! HORRIBLE. We swedes are totally unprepared for it, lawl. It was extremely frustrating trying to navigate our way through the city, especially as californians all seem to behave very rudely behind the wheel, not letting people into their lane etc when us poor tourists need to change. We were forced onto highway offramps more than once by buttmonkeys not stepping off their gas pedals to let us onto the highway proper, meh. But city was beautiful, and I bought my camera there. We got smart after that, next time we visited we took the caltrain. :p That time we also did the touristy thing, rode the cable car from...well, somewhere reasonably close to the piers to union square. Cool place, but I couldn't find a decent shopping mall for the life of me. Don't you have any in the city centers? I needed to find a good Casio watch store - couldn't find one! Now I still have my 4 y/o G-Shock that I had on my arm when I left... Boo hoo. Dante's fish place on pier 59 is pretty darn good I might add.

Buying the camera in SF was quite an adventure. First time, I tried to get the Canon Rebel XT from one of those little camera shops along the waterfront. Big mistake. OK, so I got the camera for a good price, after they'd done their little routine with knocking off dollars from the original price if I didn't seem interested enough. Alright. But, of course that wasn't the end of it... ;) I had to buy another lens too. And a wide-angle attachment for said lens. And they weren't exactly Canon originals either. Once I had rebuffed their attempts enough and made it clear to them that I was only interested in the camera, well, then the camera suddenly wasn't in stock! Despite we had already signed the credit card slip! So, they voided that purchase, and we left. After that...interesting...experience we steered clear of those shops, and I went to a shop along Market Street instead. There the nice lady didn't think I should get the Canon, but a Pentax instead. After having heard her sales pitch, I agreed with her; the Pentax did seem nicer overall, and it looks better too. I never liked the fake silver spray on the Canon because it quickly starts looking terrible, black is my thing.

We spent one evening watching Superman at the movies. Dunno what my dad thought of it, I think it was pretty cool. Luthor could have been more menacing and maniacal - Spacey can certainly do it. Some superman flying effects were also very clearly visible as CG, but what the hey. It's a popcorn movie, though we didn't buy any.

NY, we played good tourists and went on tour buses, was nice, queued an eternity to go up the Empire State building of course. Magnificient structure. Walked through Central Park and the Guggenheim museum, which had a very interesting exhibition about an ex-iraqui female architect, whose early drawings and designs reminds me a lot of the graphics seen on the side panels and bezels of arcade games from that period (early half of the 80s). Very fascinating!

The air in NY isn't really that bad. But in mid summer its awful, as the heat and humidity makes everything sticky and annoying. Depending on where you are, things are a lot better (Midtown is the worst, the west village is rather nice otoh).

You haven't seen bad air until you visit LA, Tokyo or Mexico city.

Having just flown from London to Seattle (for a 1 day meeting), the most annoying thing is that after you board the plane, the passenger list is then sent to the US authorities who then decide if the plane can take off. This took 3 hrs which is a really nice addition to the 10hr flight:cry: :cry: :cry:

Yeah, I intended to take advantage of you Demo :D, but a decided lack of commercially available internet access (apart from wireless access points; we don't own a laptop :-?) stopped me from being able to post here... I simply couldn't find any internet cafes, and that weird Kinkos place demanded 25 cent A MINUTE just to surf, rediculous! Oh well...

We managed to keep busy anyway, heh.

I'm reallyhappy you had a good time on your trip. It's always nice to see someone have a good time when they go to another place. :smile:

I should have given you my address or phone number in the city so that way I could have told you of good shopping places to go to. Union Square does have a lot of nice places to go shopping, but they're on the tad expensive side. There's a few malls in the downtown area that would have been ight up your alley...next time you visit I'll give you my number so I can give directions and all that.

So what did you think of the weather in the Bay Area compared to NYC? You may have been here for the heat spurt we had a few weeks ago, but the humidity wasn't bad at all.

I'm reallyhappy you had a good time on your trip. It's always nice to see someone have a good time when they go to another place. :smile:
:D Thanks!

So what did you think of the weather in the Bay Area compared to NYC?
Well, SF was almost cold one day, I had to put on my jeans due to the strong breeze from the pacific, and the other day I visited (not counting the third trip, because all we basically did was buy the camera in the store I visited the day before) was quite hot. It wasn't too shabby overall I have to say. It was very sunny the whole time, in NY as well.

First day we arrived in NY, it was INCREDIBLY hot and humid, worst I've ever experienced as far as humidity goes. It was crazy coming out of the ACd airport and just walk into a wall of hot, moist air. The second to last day of the trip, spent in NY and incidentally also the same day we walked on foot through much of central park, was nearly as warm and humid, but that time I was dressed for the occasion, wearing shorts and T-shirt, not jeans and a long-sleeved button-down shirt as I did when travelling to the states...

Only the very last day was sort of ho-hum I guess, cloudy with spots of very light rain, but then again we spent most of that day indoors on the hotel or at the airport, so it doesn't really matter.

Back