Is this the PC of the future?

Diplo

Veteran

Click For Big Version

Two Purdue University industrial designers won a grand prize at an international competition co-sponsored by Microsoft Corp. for a new personal computer design that may change the way people watch movies, listen to music, play games and read magazines.

The concept computer, called Bookshelf, eliminates the most common problems – digital copyrights and inconvenient accessibility – in the multimedia entertainment business today, says graduate student Sungho "Oho" Son.

http://news.uns.purdue.edu/hp/Shim.computer.html

Can't see it happening myself, but it looks kinda nice (albeit very much like a MIDI hi-fi system).

My personal hope for the future of computers is this little thing on the right:

IMG_1499.jpg

Except with a 6Ghz CPU + R600/NV60 + 4GB ram + 1TB HDD inside.

For a truly revolutionary computer experience I think we'll going to have to wait for holographic displays.

I wouldn't want a PC without an at least semi-decent number of expansion slots. My current number of 1 PCIe 16x, 2 PCI, 1 PCIe 1x is really absolute minimum as far as I am concerned. I don't mind the size of a standard PC tower case, that's alright with me as long as it isn't beige, plasticy and/or fugly-looking.

the most common problems – digital copyrights and inconvenient accessibility
half of it is not what the user wants it is what the industry wants - thus a nice concept architechturally but flawed philosophically ;)

i love beige. it says "i'm all buisness", and helps me sneek upgrades past the wife. if my PC was flashy, she's notice it. it'd be a toy. but my PC is all buisness :p

-edit-
i think what the PC space needs is some way to translate system specs so that non-tech people can know what they have. i've spoken to alot of people who who don't game on their PC's because they don't know what will run on them.

3DMark tried to get scores printed on boxes a while back. and while that's a good idea, i don't think that's necessarily the right path to go down. i think something from microsoft, built into the OS, that would give you a quick judge of performance would help greatly.

Last edited by a moderator:
see colon said:
3DMark tried to get scores printed on boxes a while back. and while that's a good idea, i don't think that's necessarily the right path to go down. i think something from microsoft, built into the OS, that would give you a quick judge of performance would help greatly.

Microsoft is planning to have that in Vista (that's the plan anyway) and you can already go to windowsgaming.com and having it rate your PC.

Guden: I agree with you on expansion space, but you could just buy that PC (a double height Mac Mini-like case ;). My point was that PCs need to get smaller, quieter and more energy efficient.

yeah, i've been to windowsgaming. but it's not built into the OS. most people who are computer illiterate won't know to go there. and even so, it just gives you a percentile score. it will tell you if you can run a game, as long as you create an account, and the game you are interested in is on the list. but it's wofully inaccurate. in fact, it tells me i reach the video crad requirement for the gamer edition of king kong, even though the game require SM3.0 support and i have an x700.

I think the PC of the future will be a console that can do the rest as well. The industry would want to lease you one, and do the same for the applications and media. Then again, more and more people express displeasure about the prospects of Vista: it just isn't much cooler, and they get all the DRM crap on top.

I think Macs and likewise custom Linux systems might get a good chance, if the game companies discover the Chinese market. But I'm not holding my breath.

But there is a large opening for a better system to build market share in either case. Takers?

Guden Oden said:
I wouldn't want a PC without an at least semi-decent number of expansion slots. My current number of 1 PCIe 16x, 2 PCI, 1 PCIe 1x is really absolute minimum as far as I am concerned.
Can you actually get anything to go in PCIe slots apart from video cards? Most boards seem to have lots of slots but there never seems to be anything out to go in them!

Diplo said:
Can you actually get anything to go in PCIe slots apart from video cards? Most boards seem to have lots of slots but there never seems to be anything out to go in them!

Well my current board has 2xPCIe 16x, 2PCIe 1x and 2x PCI and both PCI slots are filled - Audigy and wireless NIC.

Back