Is this the best/leading Unix for Windows app out there?

http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/uwin/

thinking of getting it for a productivity enhancer where i work (for those of us who are more adept with the Unix shell environment, than Windows)

you know...awk, sed, grep, vi, make, etc tools for getting things done...only on windows rigs.

now that im a DBA i have to work on windows servers as well as Unix.

i 'know' windows at a casual user level, but im much more productive in a Unix environment...fighting fires...making tools...finding, researching, etc.

(some others in our group are interested in trying something like this as well)

even comes with a c compiler and supports cron.

Most people simply use Cygwin. It has been around for ages and works very well. Simply recompile your *nix apps, and they work. And you can access everything on your PC as you're used to in *nix. I use it when working on Linux apps. Best of both worlds, if you ask me.

But if you want to have process control and all for the windows apps as well, UWIN sounds very nice.

Have to say Cygwin is the way to go. What it offers seems to easily exceed that of UWIN and likely has a wider install base. It's nice to be running XWin apps on WinOS. :cool:

i've installed the base Uwin product. and i have to say im very pleased so far.

got vi(!), grep, sed, find...everything even csh and sh shells to use (defaults to a ksh environment). it sees all my network drives...so i can (rather than use remote desktop) create the windows servers as network drives and get at things without having to install Uwin on those servers (sys adm didn't like that idea anyway)

even get to use '/' instead of '\'.

i may upgrade to the developers product (i was disappointed i didn't get the c compiler with the base package)

Back