Is this product worth it?

LocalSSL is a patented keystroke encryption solution that is currently deployed on more
than 55 million PCs. It operates with a failsafe two-tiered approach that employs both 128 bit
encryption technology to encrypt every user keystroke, while also bypassing the operating
system where malicious codes may exist. LocalSSLTM is a proven and widely deployed solution that most uniquely defeats identity and information thefts at the user's desktop.

localssl

The thing is I've anti-spyware/virus software, but I believe there's a weakness between updates, that may allow more recent keylogging software to grab some of my keystrokes. So to reduce the chances of that I want something that protects my keystrokes from most any future such software.

Would this work? Are there any alternate product recommendations ye know of?

How would you get a keylogger on your system? Seriously. Unless you're clueless it isn't very easy to get spyware on your system. If one follows the usual rules of having a (hardware) firewall, knowing what it is you're installing, not falling for stupid stuff like browser toolbars etc and only downloading programs from the official website, most problems can be avoided.

I sat online 24:7 with no firewall for years before my needs of a router made me go out and procure one. I never got any spyware or such on my box.

So maybe the threat is bigger these days who can say. It's not always accurate to use experiences of the past to compare with things as they are today. That said, if you have a good virus killer, it'll have heuristic detection of threats so there's a chance it'll nab an unknown threat as soon as it appears, should all your other defensive measures fail. Maybe you got crazy drunk some night and decided to try out that new zany russian animated cursors program or something... ;)

Then on top of everything else, a software firewall that automatically blocks all (new) outgoing connections will make you even safer. Even if you do get a logger somehow, it can't phone home to rat out your secrets.

Methinks you worry perhaps a tad too much, heh.

I like to get freeware and open source stuff. Can't bother checking every single download/program, or site I download from.

I also read hundreds of pages a day all over the web, and click link after link(e.g. wikipedia and d/l software from said links), it could get dangerous you know. ;)

I'd also like to use something like this in public terminals, now that I think of it vr-keyboards could probably be used for this too, especially if they had encryption. Though such would be unwieldly for long text documents.

Hmmm. LocalSSL claims to be sliding itself as a piece of software in between the keyboard and the OS itself. It would seem to me to be quite easy with virtualization - and possibly even with just the protected-mode features that have been in the x86 for the last 20 years - to slide in an additional software layer (with the keylogger in it) between LocalSSL and the actual keyboard again, without LocalSSL being able to reliably detect that additional layer. If that happens, then LocalSSL is dead in the water, and you are back at square one.

Back