Is Goodwin's law real?

Lord Darkblade said:
Godwin's law is not in effect in this thread (any thread about Nazi's, the Third Reich or Godwin's law cannot be Godwinned).
What a HItleresque way you have of telling everyone else what can and cannot be done! Need we remind you who WON the war?

No, the "law" is flawed:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1.

It should read: As the number of participants in an online discusssion approaches infinity, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1 regardless of topic.

I know who won the war, the Swiss.

I like the comparison to the Fuhrer (how do I get the cool dots above a letter on the web?), wonder if I can conquer Scotland through charisma and oratory skills then lead a war on neds and chavs... :D

I think the law is correct, the longer a discusion gets the more likely it is to have a post comparing someone/thing to the Nazis or Hitler irrespective of the number of posters. More so if its open to random flames!

No, the probabilty of a discussion of infinite length involving Hitler or Nazis is 0 when all of the posters lack knowledge of their existence. Or at least undefined.

Back