iPods

Dresden

Celebrating Mediocrity
Veteran
I'm about to purchase an iPod, there's a reason people call me "that guy 6 months behind on trends." But before I chisel out enough money to buy most PC components, yes I'm getting the 60GB USB 2.0 iPod Video, I need some no bullshit assessments from users such as yourselves. In essence; I need you to skip the horseshit Charles at BestBuy would toss in my general direction to further persuade me to take out a loan for this thing and fill me in on the bugs it has, or reasons NOT to buy one, but I warn you any attempts to persuade me otherwise will be duly noted and unless they somehow became the leading cause of cancer in America, I don't think it would act as a preventative measure to dissuade me from purchasing one.

Thanks guys-

Norton

Unless you really want to use iTunes then I suggest you get a Creative Zen Vision:M instead.

Better video quality, subjectively better sound, better battery life also. Its just an all around better player plus it has a much wider range of supported formats.

The Cowon iAudio X5 (or X5L) is also a good choice over the iPod. This player has the best battery life, good format support, but a smaller screen.

If you want just video then I suggest a full out media player such as the Cowon A2, 9 hours of battery life, huge screen for videos, and great format support.

The only time I'd ever recommend an iPod over other players is if the user really (and I mean really) wants to use iTunes.

Skrying said:
Its just an all around better player plus it has a much wider range of supported formats.
I can't see much reason for 'wide range of supported formats' bullet on the specs list other than cater to media piracy.

Any legitimately acquired music's by neccessity going to be offered in a few widely supported industry standards (plus apple's special stuff), and personal CD collections can be re-ripped into whatever format one prefers.

How many different formats of music do YOU have? I got MP3 and WMA, and that's it. I don't know of a single current player that can't handle these.

Not that I'm endorsing Apple's stuff, far from it. I don't think I'd ever consider buying an ipod actually, just playing devil's advocate here for a bit. :)

Guden Oden said:
How many different formats of music do YOU have? I got MP3 and WMA, and that's it. I don't know of a single current player that can't handle these.
Apple iPod, for starters. (they don't do WMA)

McDusty said:
The Zen is chunky and heavy compared to ipod video .... one of the downsides.

??

60G Ipod
Height: 4.1 inches
Width: 2.4 inches
Depth: 0.55 inches
Weight: 5.5 oz

Zen Vision
4.1 x 2.4 x .7
Weight: 5.7oz

not sure what product you're thinking of but they're almost identicle, zen is just slightly thicker. At half as much space though so i'm sure its not really an option. Though i personally cant fill a 10G MP3 player let alone 30 or 60. I hate the ipod wheel with a pasion myself, Zen has the best user control in my opinion.

If i may gripe about one design flaw, at least as i see it in both players, is the lack of a user replacable battery.

Hell ya know what. Get one of those old 6 D-Cell battery radios, plunk it on your shoulder, crank the volume so all the music is distorted with white noise and everyone within a 3 block radius can hear you, and just use that. Dont join the ipod hippies!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm. Great feedback! I heard on the radio once that since the music industry has instilled a lot of precautions to avoid anti piracy, ripping cds has become exceptionally hard in some instances due to built in software. Is this an issue?

Guden Oden said:

Lets see, I have MP3 and FLAC for audio. You wont see Apple doing FLAC any day soon, and its almost my entire music collection. Sorry for not liking lossy formats.... Sadly, I dont believe the Zen Vision:M supports FLAC either, that is why I'd personally go with the Cowon players over either.

Again, I see no point in going with an iPod unless you really want to use iTunes.

As for ripping, never had such a problem and I've ripped thousands of albums. I use EAC for all my ripping as it provides the aboslute best ripping possible. Great program.

SugarCoat said:
not sure what product you're thinking of but they're almost identicle, zen is just slightly thicker. At half as much space though so i'm sure its not really an option.

Indeed, comparing 30gb models u get ..

30G Ipod: 4.1 x 2.4 x 0.43
Weight: 4.8 oz

Zen Vision: 4.1 x 2.4 x .7
Weight: 5.7oz

I think the difference would be felt as you walk down the street with them in your pocket. The Zen weighs more than my Nokia 3210 mobile (yes im behind the times) and is about the same thickness and i rarely take it with me anywhere because its annoying ... im constantly aware of its bulk and weight in my pocket.

Which is why i think id opt for an iPod Nano 4gb ... ud never know it was there
3.5 x 1.6 x 0.27 (edit - changed to inches from cm)
42 g (1.5 oz)

Last edited by a moderator:
McDusty said:
Which is why i think id opt for an iPod Nano 4gb ... ud never know it was there
9.0 x 4.0 x 0.69
42 g (1.5 oz)

The nano is great for air travel and a 10 gigger is on the way (so they say). I'm getting 8+ hours out of my 2 GB unit right now.

Back