Implementing the primal simplex algorithm and fuzzy sets theory in an Access project

AlexV

Heteroscedasticitate
Veteran
As the title says. I`m working on a project relating to the implementation of modern informational systems on the management level. Long story short, an important part of it is illustrating the effectiveness of primal(dual) simplex for uni-criterial decisions and of the fuzzy-sets theory for multi-criterial ones.

The thing is, i`d like to be able to directly integrate into Access the problem solving, instead of doing it manually and only showing the results or dealing with a solver that doesn`t mingle with it. Any suggestions would be most appreciated, thank you.

While I have no idea how that particular method is supposed to work, it will most likely be some tables of rules and decision weights, and an expert engine. And in that case, it would make the most sense to see if you can translate the engine to SQL, and create the tables you need when you go along.

Then again, I would recommend you use an SQL server for something like that. There are plenty of good ones that are OpenSource, like Postgress.

Thanks for the suggestion, I`ll try that for the full project, but what i`m working on is a proof-of-concept so to speak, and Access was "highly recomended":) I was thinking about using something like CPLEX for the linear programming part(simplex), and I found some experimental papers about integrating it with Access, I was wondering if anybody has had any recent experiences along those lines?

If you can use an existing engine: go with that. But I really wouldn't use Access for it. It will hamper you more than allow you to make it work. Access is a good choice for making the forms and reports you need, but not for storing the data and the business rules.

Split it in three parts: use a good SQL server like Postgress to store the data, see if you can find a good engine that interfaces with one of those, and make your front-end in Access.

Back