Impact of consumer preferences, brand loyalty, and prestige on Consoles [2019 edition] *spawn*

Some fraction of both populations lol.
I mean Using Trump supporters as an example; surprisingly large even under threat of impeachment; corruption scandals; and genuine failure to deliver what he promised.

I really wish people would stop trying to drag politics into the conversation. As much as I really dislike Trump, he did deliver on quite a few of his promises.

That, of course, doesn't make him a better person or any less erratic in many of the things he does.

Trump is kind of a weird situation. My mother in Japan is deathly afraid of Trump not getting elected again. And that mirrors quite a few in the business sector over in Japan as the world economy has improved significantly since Trump took office. And most there admire his resolve in confronting China on much of the "cheating" that they do WRT world finances and world trade.

Regards,
SB

I think “loyalty” is too strong of a term when it comes to the console market. When I think of loyalists I think of a crowd who will remain loyal to a brand even when it’s obvious to everyone else that that brand no longer offers the performance, reliability, features or content advantages it held in the past.

Are their brand loyalists? Of course, but they don’t consist of the bulk of the console market.

The success of PS1, 360, NES, Genesis and Wii weren’t driven by loyalists. And loyalists didn’t prevent the N64, XB1, PS3, WiiU or Saturn from losing a significant portion of market share held by their predecessors.

Does a large swath of the market hold an an affinity for console brands? Yep. Previous market leaders create a ton of mindshare for the next gen brethren. All it takes is for the manufacturers to put out a competent and competitive product at a reasonable price. The SNES and PS2 benefited from that reality and the PS5 is next in line to enjoy such benefit.

The question is whether the next Xbox can benefit off the good will created by the 360/XB and turn things around like the PS4 and the Wii.

I think “loyalty” is too strong of a term when it comes to the console market. When I think of loyalists I think of a crowd who will remain loyal to a brand even when it’s obvious to everyone else that that brand no longer offers the performance, reliability, features or content advantages it held in the past.

Are their brand loyalists? Of course, but they don’t consist of the bulk of the console market.

The success of PS1, 360, NES, Genesis and Wii weren’t driven by loyalists. And loyalists didn’t prevent the N64, XB1, PS3, WiiU or Saturn from losing a significant portion of market share held by their predecessors.

Does a large swath of the market hold an an affinity for console brands? Yep. Previous market leaders create a ton of mindshare for the next gen brethren. All it takes is for the manufacturers to put out a competent and competitive product at a reasonable price. The SNES and PS2 benefited from that reality and the PS5 is next in line to enjoy such benefit.

The question is whether the next Xbox can benefit off the good will created by the 360/XB and turn things around like the PS4 and the Wii.

Brand loyalty doesn't mean blind loyalty. I think some people may be getting hung up on that.

It just means that, for whatever reasons a person will prefer one brand over another. That runs anywhere from blind loyalty (I'll never buy anything except X brand if X brand is available) to all things being equal I'll pick X brand over other brands. In the middle will be varying levels of, I'll accept less quality/service/access/whatever or higher prices/more bugs/more repairs (compared to the competition) in order to stick with Brand X until it exceeds a certain personal threshold.

Some people might refer to it as brand preference, but it's basically the same thing.

If brand loyalty weren't a thing, consumers would always get the product with the better stats/quality/warranty/support/etc. Sort of like what I'm doing now with the Black Friday sales items on Amazon. I have no idea who most of these fly by nights brands are, so I'm just grabbing the cheapest item that appears to have the best quality (reviews).

From the Wikipedia entry for Brand Loyalty I found this apropos.

A critical factor of building brand loyalty is developing a connection or relationship between the consumer and the brand. When an emotional relationship is created between the consumer and the brand this leads to a strong bond and a competitive advantage for that particular brand. Loyalty consists of both attitudinal and behavioral components. Attitudinal loyalty relates to the customers willingness to purchase product or service from the brand at any reasonable cost. Behavioral loyalty is the re-purchasing. Both behavioral and attitudinal components are important. One example is that a consumer displays behavioral loyalty by buying Coke when there are few alternatives available and attitudinal loyalty when they will not buy an alternative brand when Coke is not available. The attitudinal component is psychological, this leads to the behavioural action of repeat purchase. It is the attitudinal loyalty that drives most loyalty behavior and ensures loyalty over time not just with one purchase. “Brand loyalty is desired by firms because retention of existing customers is less costly than obtaining new ones. Firms profit from having loyal customers”.

Enough people had attitudinal loyalty to PS3 that despite it costing more and offering less (less games, less multiplat quality, and less exclusives) for the first 1-2 years that it sold as well if not better than the X360 over that same period when launch aligned. Even in the US the PS3 sold as well or slightly better than the X360 launch aligned for about the first 6 months.

Data pulled from here (https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Seventh_generation_of_video_games )

So the PS3 did as well as a console (X360) that had no competition while competing with that same console (X360) that had been doing relatively well for a year prior to the PS3 launch. Again, launch aligned.

Not surprising as there was a lot of brand awareness and loyalty for the PlayStation brand due to the performance of the PS1 and PS2. The relatively disastrous launch of the PS3 only tarnished that to a degree which lasted the entire generation for many former PS2 gamers (IE - PS3 was never going to match PS2, because they lost too many consumers due to the bad launch combined with good execution by the competition). Despite that there were more than enough consumers loyal to the brand that it was never in danger of getting cancelled (ala Sega consoles). The PS4 was quick to erase that however when XBO stumbled out of the gate (thus losing the loyalty of many X360 consumers).

Meanwhile X360 still had to overcome the either non-existent or even negative brand awareness and loyalty of the original Xbox. But with only one generation of brand loyalty building with the X360 and preceded with an at best lackluster generation WRT building brand loyalty, the relatively disastrous launch of the XBO almost saw Microsoft's console division following in the footsteps of Sega's console business.

Yes, there were still gamers loyal to the Xbox brand, but it almost wasn't enough. Just like there were still people loyal to the Sega console brand, but not enough to save it from going under. Sega consoles always had less brand loyalty than their competitors, even in it's Heyday compared to Nintendo and later PlayStation.

PlayStation 1 was an interesting case of, "How do you get people to switch loyalty from Nintendo?" Well, to start, you basically convince developers to develop exclusively for your platform and thus remove a reason for them to stay with the competitions console.

For example, the Final Fantasy brand moving to PlayStation exclusivity moved a lot of consumers over to the fledgling system. PlayStation 1's popularity exploded after FF7 released exclusively on it. By gaining exclusivity with so many developers that weren't formerly associated with your company, you can move a lot of people by making games that they formerly played on your competitors console unavailable on that console. Sorry folks you can no longer play these gaming brands you loved on a Nintendo console, you're going to have to play them on the PlayStation console now.

That's something I doubt we'll ever see replicated again.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Sony handed over a huge market share to MS on a silver plate. The brand loyalty for Playstation was based on passed positive experiences and that the console would eventually meet expectations which it did to a large extend.

PlayStation 1 was an interesting case of, "How do you get people to switch loyalty from Nintendo?" Well, to start, you basically convince developers to develop exclusively for your platform and thus remove a reason for them to stay with the competitions console.

For example, the Final Fantasy brand moving to PlayStation exclusivity moved a lot of consumers over to the fledgling system. PlayStation 1's popularity exploded after FF7 released exclusively on it. By gaining exclusivity with so many developers that weren't formerly associated with your company, you can move a lot of people by making games that they formerly played on your competitors console unavailable on that console. Sorry folks you can no longer play these gaming brands you loved on a Nintendo console, you're going to have to play them on the PlayStation console now.

That's something I doubt we'll ever see replicated again.

Regards,
SB

I dont think it was a matter of convincing. The Playstation was by default the platform of choice for any developer. It had the market share and other advantages. Developer costs were higher on the Nintendo platform if I recall, and Sony's contracts were more favorable. The technological differences between the two consoles also made the developers more likely to support one console for huge complicated platforms without bothering with a port. The Playstation had the storage and sound capabilities to support a huge game like FF7, it became the platform of choice. It was either a Nintendo exclusive or a Playstation exclusive and obviously Nintendo made the wrong choices.

With a huge market share, good development environment and the proper hardware, the Playstation became a winner for most developers

I dont think it was a matter of convincing. The Playstation was by default the platform of choice for any developer. It had the market share and other advantages. Developer costs were higher on the Nintendo platform if I recall, and Sony's contracts were more favorable. The technological differences between the two consoles also made the developers more likely to support one console for huge complicated platforms without bothering with a port. The Playstation had the storage and sound capabilities to support a huge game like FF7, it became the platform of choice. It was either a Nintendo exclusive or a Playstation exclusive and obviously Nintendo made the wrong choices.

With a huge market share, good development environment and the proper hardware, the Playstation became a winner for most developers

Yes, but with the PS1, the PlayStation was an unknown. It was not an established brand. Sony had never made a game console prior to it. I don't think Sony even made toys prior to the PlayStation.

They became so big because they were able to take away developers that used to make games for the Nintendo or Sega platforms and convince those developers (whether through cash deals or just convincing developers that this new console is the new hotness - for example, CD-ROM's massive storage). It's why I used Square Enix's Final Fantasy series becoming exclusive to the PlayStation when prior to that people used to play it on Nintendo consoles. It was one of the key franchises that helped propel Playstation's adoption throughout the world.

I was working in retail at the time, and the before and after effect of FF7's release on how many PlayStation consoles were sold, how many PlayStation games were sold, and how many PlayStation games were rented was absolutely impressive for the store chain that I was working for.

And like I said, we're unlikely to ever see anything similar ever again. Mostly because multi-platform development is so widespread now that it's extremely rare to have 3rd party exclusives anymore. It still happens from time to time, but not like in the heyday of consoles prior to the PS3/X360. That generation really ushered in the era of 3rd party game development companies making games for multiple platforms if they could rather than developing exclusively for one platform.

And looking back at it, it is entirely possible that Sony botching the PS3 launch combined with what had happened to the last Sega console is what convinced a lot of developers that formerly developed titles exclusively for one platform to decide that it REALLY wasn't a good idea to continue doing that. If the console you are exclusive to has problems, ut oh, your development company is now in serious danger of going out of business.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Yes, but with the PS1, the PlayStation was an unknown. It was not an established brand. Sony had never made a game console prior to it. I don't think Sony even made toys prior to the PlayStation.
However, Sony as a household brand was very strong, associated with premium products. The makers of your TV and VCR and Walkman (that you owned or wanted but couldn't afford!) going into gaming were going to be starting from a positive brand identity.

However, Sony as a household brand was very strong, associated with premium products. The makers of your TV and VCR and Walkman (that you owned or wanted but couldn't afford!) going into gaming were going to be starting from a positive brand identity.

Yes, they had many successful brands that were highly desirable. They also had many brands that almost no-one outside of Japan wanted (Mini-Disc, anyone? Betamax?). So, just being made by Sony was no guarantee that people would want to buy their products enough to make it successful, never mind pushing it past the established competition.

Sony's company image wasn't going to hurt PlayStation adoption, but it wouldn't have been enough on its own to drive PlayStation adoption such that it eclipsed the entrenched competition who had very strong branding in the console gaming area.

It was Sony's ability to convince 3rd party developers to switch consoles and develop exclusively for the PS1 that propelled them past their competition. In some cases the allure of all that storage on CD-ROM was enough. In some cases, cash from Sony would do the trick. In some cases not having to try to get past Nintendo corporate approval would do it. Etc.

Regards,
SB

Indeed. PS or Sony as a brand could never have pushed the console and it was Sony business practices and execution. However, if they had a poor company image with lots of negative association, such as their products being buggy or prone to breaking, that brand image would have hampered PS adoption even if the product was exactly what was released.

They became so big because they were able to take away developers that used to make games for the Nintendo or Sega platforms and convince those developers (whether through cash deals or just convincing developers that this new console is the new hotness - for example, CD-ROM's massive storage). It's why I used Square Enix's Final Fantasy series becoming exclusive to the PlayStation when prior to that people used to play it on Nintendo consoles. It was one of the key franchises that helped propel Playstation's adoption throughout the world.

I was working in retail at the time, and the before and after effect of FF7's release on how many PlayStation consoles were sold, how many PlayStation games were sold, and how many PlayStation games were rented was absolutely impressive for the store chain that I was working for.

And like I said, we're unlikely to ever see anything similar ever again. Mostly because multi-platform development is so widespread now that it's extremely rare to have 3rd party exclusives anymore. It still happens from time to time, but not like in the heyday of consoles prior to the PS3/X360. That generation really ushered in the era of 3rd party game development companies making games for multiple platforms if they could rather than developing exclusively for one platform.

And looking back at it, it is entirely possible that Sony botching the PS3 launch combined with what had happened to the last Sega console is what convinced a lot of developers that formerly developed titles exclusively for one platform to decide that it REALLY wasn't a good idea to continue doing that. If the console you are exclusive to has problems, ut oh, your development company is now in serious danger of going out of business.

Regards,
SB
I think we have many reasons to believe that Sony wouldnt have been able to fetch so many developers without Sega and Nintendo making specific decisions. Sure they did make special deals with some. But the large impact came with making the right decisions vs competition. Eventually yes we agree the end result is the same. Winning developers, regardless how, equals bigger brand awareness and loyalty from consumers. PS1 brand awareness helped the PS2 become such a smash hit with the consumers, that developers were motivated or encouraged or forced to continue making PS2 games which were likely to remain exclusive.

It is worth noting how the establishment of standard hardware and software solutions for graphics changed this. Since we got industry standard solutions, the era where the platform holders were the ones pioneering in graphics and providing hardware innovations automatically died. The oligopoly of Nvidia and AMD pretty much dictated graphics on PC. All other manufacturers vanished. Their visual support is virtually identical. They became the experts of the field and lead the market. By the time MS went the route with NVIDIA they made PC ports and visual features important aspects of console gaming. Sony saw it coming for the next generation. They could no longer rely 100% on their own R&D. It was going to be costly, visual features might not be easy to support or might be missing, PC ports would be a pain, MS would be getting complete support and the best PC ports with their next XBOX. So there we had the PS3 with an NVIDIA card and an unconventional processor that made things difficult and MS fully embracing AMD and easy solutions. From that point consoles are forced to rely on the oligopoly of AMD and/or NVIDIA, which means they are all following the same feature set and technological advancements to remain relevant and competitive. This is also what contributed significantly in the reduction of the arcade business. The arcades were the place were we got the latest and most advanced graphics. Home gaming paled in comparison. It could only compete a full generation later with earlier arcade games. Now household gaming packs more power and has AAA huge games. Arcades provide smaller burst of entertainment on less powerful hardware. There is no point competing the current AAA household gaming.

Sony's last efforts to rely on their own hardware and business models with PS3 made it lose the exclusives it once gained organically. All of the PS1 and PS2 third party exclusive franchises became multiplatform. Industry standard, fast and accurate PC ports, easy development became priorities. The days when PS2 missed many effects like bump mapping and nobody cared were gone. PC graphics must be part of the console eco system.

Earlier, exclusives were partly a consequence of different proprietary architectures and library tools, combined with significant market share gaps. Exclusives or ports not releasing simultaneously created product differentiation and preference which could favor a certain platform, giving more incentives for better support for said platform. Why bother with a port when platform A sells like hotcakes and its costly to port for B?
Now with almost identical hardware and no specific "hardware features" to market the platform (no blast processing, no bit wars, no special storage etc :p ), they all sell well and developers thus support all. Ports are simultaneously released and function almost equally on all platforms. This reduces differentiation, customer preference is somewhat more indifferent between platforms. This feeds with sales all platforms, and developers make games for all with less costs even if one platform is not a super seller.

Last edited:
I still think it’s too strong of a term for console market. I do think there are brand loyalists but not enough to strongly influence the market.

Nintendo and Sony were able to dominate the market with 1st gen products. Furthermore, you can have massive shifts in marketshare when transitioning to new gen hardware in the console market.

Going from the GC to the Wii and then to the WiiU, you go from 25 million to 100+ million to 13 million. Going from the XB to the 360 and then to the Xb1, you go from 20 million to 85 million to 40 million. Going from the PS2 to PS3 and then to the PS4, you go from 160 million to 85 million to 100+ million and counting. Going from the Sega Master System to the Genesis and then to the Saturn, you go from 10 million to close to 40 million to roughly 9 million.

You aren't a brand loyalist without repeat buys.

I think the market consists of mostly gamers who strongly identify with their console of choice during a generation but will readily abandon that brand for another prominent brand if they find something else compelling.

Now you need to get into the definition of compelling.

Considering the floundering and failed execution that Xbox team with XB1 for a few years has little to do with loyalty. They jack of all trades, something for everyone approach without any compelling software to back it up just fell flat on it's face.

Sony literally took the X360 model of focusing on gamers after having relatively failed with the PS3 model of going after everyone to some degree and killed it. Good for them.

LTTP = goonergaz :D

If you want an example of blind brand loyalty...in the 80's Arsenal were sponsored by JVC and an old mate of mine (another Arsenal fan) used to buy JVC versions of anything they made - TV, Hi-Fi, VCR, you name it...if JVC made a version of a required item that's what he bought!

This might be the first fair fight we've seen in over a decade.

Fair with one party having 2/3rd advantage of upgraders?

IMO, it has more to do with the brand loyalty that the PlayStation brand has built up. Especially during the PS2 era when the PS2 was the ONLY way to play most console games. The amount of 2nd/3rd party exclusives on the PS2 was just ridiculous.

This really.

I think that "brand loyalty" is a fragile beast as demonstrated by PS3. It's clearly not about brand loyalty. :nope: Sales of consoles and games demonstrate a swing from PS2 to 360 to PS4. So where is the brand loyalty?

Why can't Microsoft do what Sony did out of the gate? Microsoft avoided using the Microsoft brand with Xbox. What does Xbox not have the appeal of PlayStation?

Sony had brand loyalty...like my example above, if JVC had bought out a console - regardless of how bad it was - my mate would have bought it! lol Also, there's a bit of a stigma attached to MS (or at least there was).

I think PS3 is a perfect example of brand loyalty. Despite what most would consider a disastrous launch, it still ended up selling as well as the X360 despite being on the market for ~1 year less. Things were especially rough in that first 1-2 years as multi-platform games were a fair bit worse on PS3 than X360 as developers had a rough time finding out how to best develop games on the PS3. As well the library was significantly smaller. And despite all that it still managed to sell quite well in Europe (posts here allude to it selling out in Europe for months while in the US you had pallets just sitting in stores shortly after launch).

Again, this (sorry SB, don't want to taint you with my agreement but...) :p

Brand loyalty exists and the best example is the PS3 out of the US and UK. Sony sold 87.4 million PS3. This is incredible for a console launch at 599 dollars/euros one year after the concurrent, inferior multiplatform games for the most part of the generation, inferior online services all generation, a major outage and hack of the online services.

The Xbox One is the best example of brand loyalty in the US and UK. Launch for 100 dollars more than the competition for one year, less powerful, fewer exclusives games...

Sony's problem with PS3 is the product same for MS with the Xbox One, brand loyalty lost of it forces when your product is sold 200 dollars/euros more than the competition or 100 dollars more in the case of Microsoft problem. But it exists if it was not the case, Microsoft would have sold 20 million Xbox One and Sony the same number of PS3.

This...how it still sold as many consoles as X360 is testament to that. Launches aligned, PS3 sold quicker than Xbox 360 despite the 360 having complete free-reign of the market and being a hell of a lot cheaper with a load of great games.

I think all things being equal, the preferred brand is bought. 360 sold because PS3 was too expensive (and less powerful!) for those who'd have preferred it. If the preferred brand is affordable, affordable being decided by degree of loyalty it commands, it'll sell better than rivals even if those rivals are cheaper.

Or rather, loyalty isn't a binary on/off switch, but a sliding scale of preference towards sales and price products can command. Apple has crazy loyalty which doesn't mean Apple users won't swap to Android, but that they'll be willing to pay more for Apple when making choices. I think the gaming market prefers PlayStation and will, all things being equal, buy PS by default, and possible will be happy to spend a but more to get a PS than an XB (less so in US), but only so far. PS3 shows that even with a crap value proposition and an underperforming design, it was still just as popular as XB360, so that shows the contribution brand loyalty made. Had there been none, PS3 would have sold a few tens of millions and 360 would have run away with the generation, same way PS did.

I guess 'loyalty' just mean high brand strength. The literal concept of loyalty doesn't exist for consumers apart from a few nut-jobs.

This.

I think a lot of people here are downplaying the excellent work that Sony did with regards to exclusive titles for PS3. Uncharted, GT5:prologue, RnC etc from their internal studios, MGS4, FFXIII (marketing wise before it was released) and others from third-parties. I also think XB360 got a real boost from Kinect, but that wasn't really sustainable.

Indeed, the reason I buy PlayStation? I know I will get games like Shadow of the Colossus or other less 'big hitting' titles...something a bit different.

Sales-wise 360 and PS3 were about even at the time this generation ushered in so "most" did not wait for PS3. If you look historically at sales of consoles, the least number of annual sales occur in the first two rolling years of sale which makes sense as consoles are at their most expensive, with the least compelling bundles, the least amount of games in their libraries and few good cheap games available in sales.

PS3 sold bad when it was expensive, multi-platform games played worse and its exclusive library was lacking. 360 took a hit with RRoD, which landed about the same time Sony starting turned things around.

Xbox One sold bad when it was expensive (Kinect), multi-platform games played worse and its exclusive library was lakcing, and got better when Microsoft began to turn things around. Unfortunately for Microsoft, Sony did not have an equivalent to RRoD to cast their console in a better light.

See launches aligned data, bad as it sold, it sold better than X360.

Yes, I worked in a 'brown goods' shop - no consoles, until the owner asked if I'd be interested in selling PlayStation - they could set it up easily as they were already owners of the Sony Centre...so in our shop window and on display in our store was PlayStation, this opened up sales to people who weren't even looking for a console!

Yes, they had many successful brands that were highly desirable. They also had many brands that almost no-one outside of Japan wanted (Mini-Disc, anyone? Betamax?). So, just being made by Sony was no guarantee that people would want to buy their products enough to make it successful, never mind pushing it past the established competition.

Sony's company image wasn't going to hurt PlayStation adoption, but it wouldn't have been enough on its own to drive PlayStation adoption such that it eclipsed the entrenched competition who had very strong branding in the console gaming area.

They still made fantastic VHS videos and other portable players, I'm unsure of the relevance...not everything you make when trying to be at the front of the market will take off? Also, you'd be surprised how many people left my shop with a PS1 having no intention of buying a console! "Oh, they make games machines now do they!?"

People change definitions of words. Literally. They have.

Maybe the scholars could publish yearly updates reflecting the changes broadly accepted are in need of change! :runaway: I know, this is just nuts!

Maybe people could use the well-put-together book of word meanings to not change them up in the first place, negating the need for updates. ;)

Maybe people could use the well-put-together book of word meanings to not change them up in the first place, negating the need for updates. ;)
If you prevent society from developing, the need to language to adapt will also cease. It will also signal the imminent end of a society.

Be careful what you wish for! :runaway:

Back