IBM reports $150 million loss in IC unit, blames 300-mm fab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC-Engine

Banned
http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/sh...id=IZGS2BZHRD2RWQSNDBGCKHY?articleID=18901773

One problem is ongoing yield issues within the company's 300-mm fab in East Fishkill, N.Y. For months, IBM has been struggling with yields in the fab, a 130- and 90-nm plant.

"We do see demand, but we need to make the products," Joyce said. "We need to improve our yields in our 300-mm plant. Our yields did see some improvement, but not as fast" as the company had hoped.

This doesn't bode too well for their 65nm process technology which may be used for consoles? I'm surprised this poor yield thing is still ongoing. I remember reading the same thing a year ago.

This is relavent to what? Maybe you should stick this in another forum at this website.

Edit: Yea nice job editing a relevance to consoles in there, we all know why you created this topic :rolleyes:

This is relavent to what? Maybe you should stick this in another forum at this website.
1. IBM is struggling with 90 nm due to poor yield.
2. Intel is struggling with 90 nm due to overheating.
3. Practically everyone else's 90 nm processes are not working right.

Yet somehow, SCEI's 90 nm and 65 nm processes are supposed to work fine and give us the magical half a billion transistor CELL that will clock high and run cool....

Must be Kutaragi's little magic....

In case you missed, IBM sold off the embedded PPC business to Applied Micro for $227 million. IBM must have been cash-strapped...

Yet somehow, SCEI's 90 nm and 65 nm processes are supposed to work fine

:rolleyes:

EVERYONES's process is *supposed* to work fine, what do you think, they upgrade for failure?

Shit happens, SCEI has a 90 nm chip out, who knows; maybe their 65 will turn out to have some problems.

WHO KNOWS! Until it happens, I for one am sick of you running around this forum with your Sony doomed horseshit. Its getting old fast.

I don't even know why you waste your time stating the obvious, everyone knows that SCE/TOSHIBA may have problems, we all know that things happen, but you seem to have an obsession with it. Odd, but it's not surprising.

Re: ...

Deadmeat said:
An "alleged" 90 nm chip that has significantly lower gate density than IBM's 130 nm chip. Is it just me or do you smell something fish....

When will your madness end?

[url=http://www.chipworks.com/news/11SonyPSX.htm said:
Chipworks[/url]]In addition the Sony device uses an advanced two stack low-k dielectric structure. The combination of this dielectric process and the smallest transistor seen so far by Chipworks makes this one of the most advanced processes in volume production today.

• SonyPSX.gif

The physical limits/bounds of the ASC9 process are clearely proven and are clearly within the tolerances that Intel has stated for the 90nm node. What you need to keep repeating untill you understand it is that there is a difference between a technology and an implimentation - especially when it's a static, set-piece, 4 year old IC which may very well have a negative effect if they were to push the technology. They just combined the Graphic Synthesizer and Emotion Engine into a single IC which yeilds highly, whats the motivstion to move away from equilibrium when the only positive gain, preformance, must be held static? The only thing that smells fishy is.. nevermind.

Paul said:

Edit: Yea nice job editing a relevance to consoles in there, we all know why you created this topic :rolleyes:

Seems relevant to me since IBM is so heavily involved in the next generation of at least two consoles and possibly all 3 if Nintendo uses them. East Fishkill is promoted as one of the most advanced fabs in the world, yet they are facing difficulties.

When will the madness end is right. You guys need to stop your bickering . Till then I might just have to lock every thread that you guys start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back