I just watched the most bizarre thing on TV...

Guden Oden

Legend
Some of you may think this is political in nature, but I don't really think so. It's more like social satire or somesuch. Art, perhaps. It's certainly very peculiar.

Certain latitude has to be granted when dealing with art, and expression. Thus, try to keep an open mind when watching.

This short movie, produced by Swedish Television, is described as 'black comedy, by Johan "Read My Lips" Söderberg, starring George Bush, Jean-Marie Le Pen and others.'

Please note that the length of the movie is approximately thirty minutes, and you'll need a stable broadband internet connection for good audio and video performance, and you'll probably need a recent version of MS Media Player installed too. Also, turn up the volume a bit on your sound system, as there's some pretty awesome music in here too.

Please, watch, listen, and enjoy THE VOICE!

Bizarre was the word indeed. But quite cool. 8)
Though I would say it's pretty obviously political. I don't think it's a coincident that as far as I can tell there's only rightwingers in it, except for Blair.

Part of social satire is that you poke fun at those in power, Humus. That doesn't make it political per se. If so you ought to politicize South Park also... :D

That's one of the strangest notions I ever heard I think. You just disqualified the majority of the world's satire in one fell swoop there.

I'm pretty certain you won't find much support for your definition elsewhere either, in fact if you look up the word in a dictionary you'll see it doesn't say anything about having to keep a neutral position on the subject or else be political.

Guden Oden said:
You just disqualified the majority of the world's satire in one fell swoop there.

I didn't disqualify anything. Satire can of course be political and still be satire. There's no contradiction there. Not sure if it's the best examples, but compare some major shows like Dennis Miller, Jay Leno and The Daily Show. I qualify them all as satire, but Dennis Miller is obviously also political (right) and also The Daily Show (center-left), while Jay Leno is unpolitical. He doesn't take any stances and throws his jabs both left and right and up and down and all directions.

Guden Oden said:
I'm pretty certain you won't find much support for your definition elsewhere either, in fact if you look up the word in a dictionary you'll see it doesn't say anything about having to keep a neutral position on the subject or else be political.

If you look up "satire" you won't find much, but if you look up "political" then surely this video would fit. It's political satire.

Back