HTPC/MCE help?

Bobbler

Shazbot!
Veteran
Yesterday one of my HDDs died, so I decided to order a couple to replace it (2x 250gb, 16mb cache, Sata) and was thinking maybe it's time to just put together a media center PC...

I want to keep my costs down and I don't plan on playing any games on it.

I suppose what I need is some recommendations on motherboard, video card, and anything else I'd possibly need (shouldn't need soundcard, ram, or HDDs, or CPU -- going a lower speed A64, 1.8ghz probably?) -- I haven't kept up on the whole media center PC stuff, but I figure with PS3/X360 and an HDTV entering my house sometime this year I might as well jump on the bandwagon.

hm...might I suggest a DFI Infinity nForce 4? It's pretty much a stripped down LanParty, but it keeps the same BIOS functionality. I was initially thinking you were going for a small form-factor, but IIRC/AFAIK most of the smaller boards are Intel. As for a video card, I prefer ATI's controls over dual display than I do nVidia's. Do you have a preference there? You could probably just go with an X1300 or 7300.

er...actually, are you going for an actual full blown media center or just a computer to playback video to the TV (that's how I setup mine i.e. no remote :p)?

Alstrong said:
hm...might I suggest a DFI Infinity nForce 4?

Be real careful here...If you want a quiet HTPC, stay away from this motherboard. The chipset fan is located in a very cramped place - ie. it cannot be replaced - and is very noisy.

Back