How to stop XP from god damn protecting me from myself?

Each time I download a program and run the installer XP bugs me abou there not being a signature in the file and telling me it'll eat my data and destry my PC and everything. How can I make that STOP?

And when I try to insert a link on this site IE7 eats the little box that opens so that I have to "temporarily" allow popups. GHow do I make THAT stop?

YThis idiot OS and its idiot oprograms goes exactly the wrong way about protectimg people and their computers IMO. It just annoys me it doesn't foster better security thinking e5tc.

Is there like one "security" service running somewhere that can be killed and just makes all these isdiot behaviors go away?

Peace.

Hate to be Mr. Obvious about this, but... Google?

I'm sure you're somewhere around the eleventy-brazillionth person that's asked either of those questions. And both can be disabled...

So if the universal answer to every question is "google" then why have a forum at all? :(

Sorry for saying this but smartypants answers like yours I really can do without. If I knew how to google up stuff like this I would have. But I don't.

Peace.

My personal main irritation is all the extremely annoying balloons all the time. Especially the one that tells me that I should clean the unused shortcuts from my desktop. So, I have made a registry file that I can double-click and have them all dissapear. And still the start bar pops up sometimes when you've set it to auto-hide.

But, to answer the original question: it still takes me about half an hour to make a new PC/profile into something bearable.

So if the universal answer to every question is "google" then why have a forum at all? :(
Forums serve a much larger purpose than "simple" break-fix requests. If you can't think of any, then let me know and I can provide plenty of examples.

I'm sure you've heard of the addage "teach a man to fish..." Rather than spoon-feeding you something that could VERY easily be found on google, instead I'd rather see you learn how to use the tools at your disposal to get the answer you need. And by learning how to use that tool, you will more quickly and effectively be able to answer future questions.

So, in the spirit of helping you learn to fish, let me give you some help on google: The most simplistic search entry typically yields excellent results. Example? Try typing "temporarily allow popups" in Google and see what you get.

Here's a hint: If you try my suggestion above, you'll find the answer to that particular problem on the very first page of Google results, and even within the first five hits.

Now, expand that newly found process to your next question, and I'll bet you get an equally informative result from Google. And if you hate google? Try Yahoo, or Ask.com, or most other search engines. Billions of dollars are spent on search technology to make your life easier and search results more robust and relative to what you're looking for.

Nothing wrong with IE7.
Just be aware that if you upgrade from 6, the popup blocking settings will not be default, and will pretty much try and block everything and anything (even clicks with target=_blank sometimes). So reset them to default and it makes browsing nicer

Nothing wrong with IE7.
Just be aware that if you upgrade from 6, the popup blocking settings will not be default, and will pretty much try and block everything and anything (even clicks with target=_blank sometimes). So reset them to default and it makes browsing nicer

Yeah, nothing wrong with IE7 besides its years late and still lacks a number of features Firefox and Opera have. Not to mention its just horribly designed with regards to the UI.

How can I make that STOP?
Dunno exactly what it is that I do but while I often hear of people getting that, I don't seem to get it personally.
I think it must be amongst the various bits & pieces that I change when first setting up a windows install :)

You can deactivate the security center through the control panel, also disable the firewall and internet connection sharing services.

Ah, that might be it.
I disable Security Centre in services.msc, I'm not aware of it being possible from Control Panel though.

Ah, that might be it.
I disable Security Centre in services.msc, I'm not aware of it being possible from Control Panel though.

No, I mean you can disable the firewall etc. within the security center from the CP.

I said the same thing about XP. and I can say the same about Vista right now.. at least for the next two years. two-three years down the road you and me might be using Vista SP2 or Vienna SP1 with UAC disabled, other services crap disabled (indexing, media center etc.), an alternate shell, winamp 2.xx and media player classic as usual :).
with less bugs, mature drivers (and tools), disabled crap, more well known customisation it might be quite good.

Back