Hey Digi, still lovin' your VF700? Try the VF900 instead!

Guden Oden

Legend
First review I've seen anywhere is right HERE, for your convenience, and it looks totally kickass!

It beats the new heatpipe-equipped Arctic Cooling thingy by 4C idle temps and 5C under load while looking better and taking up less space. And alledgedly not making noticeably more noise either. I wonder how it fares against the Thermalright VGA cooler... :) Not that it matters though; the thermalright unit isn't suitable for BTX systems like mine, while this unit would be ideal. It would even have the heatpipes sitting upright rather than hanging upside down, for extra efficient coolant flow back to the hot plate. :)

And, as a bonus, it looks real easy to mount too. Thus three cheers for Zalman and their crack team of uber engineers, looks like they hit the jackpot yet AGAIN!

I like! The heatpipes should make it easier to fit on the card and the new mounting bracket makes it look like it'll fit anything! :D

It does look excellent. There's another review here: http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=743

vgacoolers031so.gif

What are Arctic Cooling doing? :???:

Last edited by a moderator:
digitalwanderer said:
Currently cooling my X800TT since my VF700 busted a fanblade. ;)

I've installed/used 5 of AC's VGA Silencers and been pleased with every one of them. The Accelero is very disappointing.

MuFu said:
I've installed/used 5 of AC's VGA Silencers and been pleased with every one of them. The Accelero is very disappointing.

Yep, looks like they decided to do something new for marketing reasons, and left a technically superior solution behind. They could have made a new design that performed the same function in a better way, instead of changing the way it works altogether.

Even so, arn't there IceQ x1800/x1900 retail cards that still come with the old AC coolers?

22c better than ATI stock under load? Has anyone seen a similar number for, say, 7800GTX512?

Zalman fans will identify this new VF900-Cu as the successor to the infamous VF700-Cu VGA Cooler, which it is.
Huh?

That's what happens when someone learns english from watching ¡Three Amigos!.
<Ducks for the obligatory remark on my grammar in this post.>

digitalwanderer said:
I'm not ready to write it off yet....have you tried one?
I have the Accelero X2 for my x1800 xl and am very happy with it. It so much better then the fan that came with the card. Keeps the card at 65 rather then 85 under load and is far far quieter then the stock fan. While the VF900 looks to be better it is also twice the price of the X2. So it comes done to what you want, the best performance or decent performance and cheap.

MuFu said:
The Accelero is very disappointing.
Agreed. Even if it cools the card itself to the same level as the respective Silencer, the lack of rear exhaust means higher case temperatures. Bad design.

I just do not get the decision to forgoe the rear exhaust of the earlier models like I have on my old 9800. Unless it is a marketing decision so as not to infringe on their customers turf like HIS. I think they supply the coolers for thier Ice x1600, x1800 and x1900 models and derivatives. Pisses me off to no end becuase I don't care how good it is in cooling - I want the hot air to exhaust out the back. I can't seem to buy an after market cooler that does this which is re dick a less.

Yes it is bizarre that they've abandoned what is pretty much a unique selling point amongst those of us who like quiet PCs. The Accelero line it seems to me have no merit whatsoever. My theory is that they got fed up producing endless variants of the Silencer range and have plomped for a much simpler product line-up.

From what I read however the NV Silencer 5 will fit the current 7900 series cards with a little bit of modding, and I have a theory that it'll fit the X1800/X1900 too (the mounting holes on those cards are I *think* the same as NVIDIAs now). So it might be possible to bodge things for this generation, but looking forward the outlook is bleak :cry:

geo said:
Well, that's a starkly different picture, isn't it? Wtf?

Not a great review though. Thin on pictures (the single photo included could well be a marketing shot) and the "Contenders" page doesn't examine any of the products in detail. They don't even say which mode they ran the Zalmans in - probably 5V, judging by the noise level observations. That'd be part of the explanation as to why the results are closer. That and perhaps a botched installation of the X2 in the Sudhian review (going by the DH figures).

AC still have attractive features - the noise level, GPU fan header connection and ease of installation. The latter is quite a big deal when you consider that people fuckup their cards relatively often when replacing the stock heatsink etc.

Do you think that abandoning the exhaust has something to do with BTX?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back