GoW PSN/E3 demo (since other thread got locked)

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
37 pages... Goshdarn! :LOL:

Anyway, I played the demo some (alright, very little, really), found the controls incredibly fiddly and irritating. Any time a game has me hold-this-button-and-press-this-other-button for no particularly discernible reason I feel more grey hairs sprout from my scalp.

Open chests? Hold R1. Why? Just because. I suppose they had to find some use for that button too somehow, because just having the player press X would be too simple. The recent trend of simplifying control systems in games, naah. Not interested! GoW is for hardcore players only! Anyone else needn't bother!

The on-screen hint popups tended to be visible for such a short period that I didn't have time to read them. Maybe this is changed in the final version (E3 was a while ago after all), maybe not. At the chasm where the lava giant guy/thing appears I saw something flicker by about Pegasus Wings, I jumped, wings popped out, and then I plunged down the chasm and died.

Also the on-rails camera was annoying and several times it positioned scenery inbetween me and Kratos, blocking my view of what was going on.

I played the demo on Saturday evening and was utterly blown away. Awesome.

It was so awesome that up to a point, I was there laughing away as I was shredding good and evil into pieces, pulling limbs apart etc... Naturally, at some point, my GF stood up and walked away in disgust, but I didn't care. The moves, the fidelity of the graphics, the ligthing... awesome. I'm still grinning like an 8 year old just thinking about it.

The framerate could be a bit better during the fighting, but then again, it's an old demo (E3 2009?), so I have my hopes up that the real deal will be a bit better. Even if it isn't, it's good enough to have a lot of fun. I played it again last night with a friend and noticed how much better the whole thing gets when you actually *know* what you are doing and becoming more efficient at it.

The boss fights are awesome and while the gore is shocking in many ways, i love it.

Best part in the demo is the one where this guy is hanging on to the ledge crying for help with the circle-button hovering above his head. Thinking I'd do one single good deed by trying to save his sorry ass, I swing across and press circle... only to see him get smashed against the wall and fall off the edge. Help in a very crude sense, but yeah, I guess we did help him... :LOL:

Awesome. Awesome.

Just ordered it on amazon.

I should really go home and play GoW1&2 now which I haven't really started.

GoW is for hardcore players only! Anyone else needn't bother!
It's probably best, if you only speak on your experience. I am NOT a hardcore gamer, but, for the most part, I cruised through the demo. The Pegasus wings jump was beyond simple to me. I really enjoyed the time spent playing this demo. The demo only strengthen my resolve to pre-order the game, even though money is pretty tight right now.

Back