google spreadsheet

Yeah, good plan. I'm going to give google all my spreadsheets. RIIIIGHT.

Because, we know they'd never collaborate with fascist regime to make a buck. NEVER.

Ahh, nice. Its simple, its free, and it can be access from anywhere.

Honestly, what Google is bringing out (especially using this as an example) is just to simply aid your every day life when you dont have direct access to more full featured applications on your home computer. Its not to replace other stand alone programs except for those who dont need some of the features of those programs.

I might use it, but I like OpenOffice. And it would require a fast internet link, which isn't always available at companies. (The link might be fast, but it has to be shared by many.)

RussSchultz said:
You think Google care about what is in your data? Most spreadsheet data is useless to anyone other than the people who know what it represents; otherwise it's just numbers and figures without context. A lot of data is also not particularly top-secret. Regardless, Google privacy policy means that they are not going to give your data to third parties.
Because, we know they'd never collaborate with fascist regime to make a buck. NEVER.
Which software companies don't? Whilst Google may operate in, say, China and censor the data they serve there, that doesn't mean they freely share that data with any third parties. Google refused to share data with the US government and, as far as I know, they have never disclosed individual's data to the authorities (unlike Microsoft and Yahoo). So, if you are concerned about ethics then stop using Excel. If you are concerned about total privacy then stop using the internet (because your ISP is far more likely to cough up personal data to the authorities than Google is).

RussSchultz said:
...Unlike the US gov't?
What about microsoft?

I don't really understand your point. Capitalists make a buck wherever they can, fascist regimes or not. Nothing's new here, you know that.

RussSchultz said:

I certainly wouldn't trust *ANYONE* that I don't know personally with my data even for boring stuff - but I'm a bit of a privacy freak.

RussSchultz said:

You mean like Halliburton and their office in Tehran?

Guden Oden said:
...Unlike the US gov't?
What about microsoft?
And you dont' see me giving them my spreadsheets, either.

I don't really understand your point. Capitalists make a buck wherever they can, fascist regimes or not. Nothing's new here, you know that.
Google has demonstrated that they're more than willing to accomodate the Chinese regime in their attempts to control information.

This is philosophically wrong, to me.

RussSchultz said:
And you dont' see me giving them my spreadsheets, either.

Google has demonstrated that they're more than willing to accomodate the Chinese regime in their attempts to control information.

This is philosophically wrong, to me.

Wait wait, controlling information is wrong to you? LOL

DiGuru said:
I might use it, but I like OpenOffice. And it would require a fast internet link, which isn't always available at companies. (The link might be fast, but it has to be shared by many.)

I like chiseling my documents in a slate of granite rather than using word as well.

Actually, I bought a legit copy of Office for $29.95 CDN through a plan that the office has and I was unexpectly happy to remove OpenOffice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diplo said:
You think Google care about what is in your data?
Ummm... yes, of course they care! This is a company whose self-declared goal is to know everything about their customers.

Regardless, Google privacy policy means that they are not going to give your data to third parties.
They don't have to distribute the data, in fact it's not in their interest to do so. Their "product" is a service through which they offer targetted advertising... "give us your ads and, for a price, we'll make sure the right people see them". How do they work out where best to target the adverts? By using all the personal information that people seem to be so willing to store on their servers!

I must say I do find it rather amusing that when Microsoft proposed this model five years ago (their original concept for the Passport scheme) the geeks of the world were up in arms. Now it's the lovely, cuddly, Linux-friendly Google doing the exact same thing, they're quite happy to drop their trousers and allow themselves to be shafted by the dirty, money-grabbing capitalists.

I actually wanted Passport to turn into a lot of things, and I think it could have if Microsoft had done it.

Its just nice to see a company doing it, and so far doing it the correct way. I think a lot of people love the simpleness of Google's products, reminds me of why the iPod is such a sucess.

nutball said:
I must say I do find it rather amusing that when Microsoft proposed this model five years ago (their original concept for the Passport scheme) the geeks of the world were up in arms.
But that was more because it was being done by Microsoft who, at the time, had a very bad reputation for security (and still do). The ideas behind Passport are fine, it's just that nobody would trust Microsoft with their data - not because of the usual anti-Microsoft rehetoric but because of sound facts.

Back