Generic 8x dvds not showing up at supporting 8x

Moloch

God of Wicked Games
Veteran
Ya I got a 50 pk of generic "8x" dvd+rs and nero wont let me burn them at 8x, 4x max.
Is it possible flasing my dvdrw drive (some msi 8x model.. not sure which since I rmaed it and came back with another drive lacking some features of mine) could enable me ot burn them at 8x speed?

radeonic2 said:
Ya I got a 50 pk of generic "8x" dvd+rs and nero wont let me burn them at 8x, 4x max.
Is it possible flasing my dvdrw drive (some msi 8x model.. not sure which since I rmaed it and came back with another drive lacking some features of mine) could enable me ot burn them at 8x speed?

Maybe, but I wouldn't count on it. I've had the same problem with 2 CD burners and a DVD burner. They just don't like certain media, find a brand your drive likes and stock up.

What's the media code (MID)? It could be a number of things such as the drive not knowing the disc and thus falling back on a 'generic' and speed-limited write strategy, or it could be OPC checks have determined that the media are crap and decided to limit the write speed for that particular media ID, or it could be that your DVD burner simply isn't that good. What's the model number?

Later MSI burners have been rebadged BenQs (excellent) but some of their earlier stuff was less than stellar. I'd update to the latest firmware to see if that helps. If not the media is probably to blame.

Zaphod said:
What's the media code (MID)? It could be a number of things such as the drive not knowing the disc and thus falling back on a 'generic' and speed-limited write strategy, or it could be OPC checks have determined that the media are crap and decided to limit the write speed for that particular media ID, or it could be that your DVD burner simply isn't that good. What's the model number?

Later MSI burners have been rebadged BenQs (excellent) but some of their earlier stuff was less than stellar. I'd update to the latest firmware to see if that helps. If not the media is probably to blame.
Ill update my post when im done burning and so i can check.
I liked the msi burner I had first since it supported hd-burn so i could get 1400MB on a single cd and I burned a view cds using that and since the new burner doesn't support than I effectivly lost a few things.
edit-
ok they're "optodisc OR8s"
dvd indentifer verfies they support 2.4- 8x so um ya.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could check out the forum at CD Freaks to find out what it really is. Even if MSI suck at releasing firmwares (as most of the rebranders do) there is a good probability that it could be crossflashed back to whatever ODM model it's based on. Most of the time this can (significantly) improve burn quality and media support.

My own burner would have been junk a long time ago if not for community hacks.

radeonic2 said:
ok they're "optodisc OR8s"
Widely known as mostly C to D grade media. Some brands using these (Samsung) are of a consistant higher quality, but mostly they're not that good, and rather variable.
radeonic2 said:
dvd indentifer verfies they support 2.4- 8x so um ya.
That's just the "media ID talking". Ultimately you need to know what speed the drive firmware support them at. Some drives deliberately limit the speed of 'lesser media' to ensure acceptable burn quality. Others have, as I mentioned, more dynamic OPC checks that can do this after the fact if it doesn't think quality is up to par.

Could you, if your drive supports it, post a 'Disc Quality' scan using the latest CD Speed?

Zaphod said:
You could check out the forum at CD Freaks to find out what it really is. Even if MSI suck at releasing firmwares (as most of the rebranders do) there is a good probability that it could be crossflashed back to whatever ODM model it's based on. Most of the time this can (significantly) improve burn quality and media support.

My own burner would have been junk a long time ago if not for community hacks.
hmm.. ill check into that.
I also see searching for the model I found with dvd indent that this model kills hd-burn.. hmm.

Saem said:
What the heck is an hd-burn exactly?
Burning a smaller than standard pit-length on a CD to squeeze in more data. The downside is reduced playback compatibility, and different CD players have different tolerances as to 'how HD' a disc could be before it's rendered unreadable. The tech didn't catch on much due to this unpredictable nature.

Zaphod said:
Burning a smaller than standard pit-length on a CD to squeeze in more data. The downside is reduced playback compatibility, and different CD players have different tolerances as to 'how HD' a disc could be before it's rendered unreadable. The tech didn't catch on much due to this unpredictable nature.
Always wondered what the hell that was about:D

Heh. Up to the time when DVD-burners became a commodity item rather than an investment; all the manufacturers of control chipsets for optical drives seemed to experiment with all sorts of non-standard stuff to gain an advantage. Ultimately most of these things go away.

radeonic2 said:
hmm.. ill check into that. I also see searching for the model I found with dvd indent that this model kills hd-burn..
This your post? The number you list is the firmware revision, and not the drive model. MSI use the same numbering scheme for all their drives, so it really doesn't say much. I'm guessing your old drive was a DR8-A(2) (actually an Optorite DD0401/DD0405 with Sanyo tech).

The real name/model of the drive should be listed in device manager. Also: As for your older HD-burned CDs they might be readable in other readers. They were originally ment to work in any DVD reader, but as I mentioned, they don't. You'll just have to try different drives.

The only MSI 8X burner without HD-burn is the DR8P (i don't know what this one really is), but that doesn't fit with the firmware revision, as this drive have a recent 110 posted at the MSI website. A quick google about the Optorites seem to indicate that the burners with a firmware revision ending in 'i' does not have the HD-burn fearure active, so I'm thinking you may still have a DR8-A(2).

Identify your drive properly and upgrade to either firmware 150D for the DR8-A or 160D dor the DR8-A2.

Zaphod said:
This your post? The number you list is the firmware revision, and not the drive model. MSI use the same numbering scheme for all their drives, so it really doesn't say much. I'm guessing your old drive was a DR8-A(2) (actually an Optorite DD0401/DD0405 with Sanyo tech).

The real name/model of the drive should be listed in device manager. Also: As for your older HD-burned CDs they might be readable in other readers. They were originally ment to work in any DVD reader, but as I mentioned, they don't. You'll just have to try different drives.

The only MSI 8X burner without HD-burn is the DR8P (i don't know what this one really is), but that doesn't fit with the firmware revision, as this drive have a recent 110 posted at the MSI website. A quick google about the Optorites seem to indicate that the burners with a firmware revision ending in 'i' does not have the HD-burn fearure active, so I'm thinking you may still have a DR8-A(2).

Identify your drive properly and upgrade to either firmware 150D for the DR8-A or 160D dor the DR8-A2.
ya.
Hmm device manager lists my burner as "generic dvd rw 8xmax"
well I found this
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:....html+generic+dvd+rw+8xmax&hl=en&client=opera

i have 8x DVD burner and some 8x DVD's...but they are burnt at 4x.....
also Nero doesnt have option to burn higher then 24x for CD's, which is IMO weird.....

radeonic2 said:
Hmm device manager lists my burner as "generic dvd rw 8xmax"
Right. So it *is* the same burner as an MSI as a MSI DR8-A(2), but for some reason the one you got back din't have MSI firmware, rather I/OMagic, installed. I'm sure you can find a way to crossflash it to the latest Optorite (or MSI) firmware if you google or search/ask at CD Freaks. Like this. From the looks of it this could regain you the HD-burn feature and should improve media compatability as well (the latest I/O Magic firmware itself should achieve the latter).

Edit: The Optorite firmware may also work directly the flasher it doesn't do a device ID check. DD0402/DD0405 appear to be identical (except for the last byte) and the only feature that DD0405 gained over the DD0402 at launch the latter got with a firmware upgrade. My guess is that the hardware is the same for both modelsl.

Of course flash at your own risk and all that.

If and when you upgrade the drive i'd look for one that is popular among enthusiasts, as community support can significantly add to the value and longlivety of the drive.

Zaphod said:
Right. So it *is* the same burner as an MSI as a MSI DR8-A(2), but for some reason the one you got back din't have MSI firmware, rather I/OMagic, installed. I'm sure you can find a way to crossflash it to the latest Optorite (or MSI) firmware if you google or search/ask at CD Freaks. Like this. From the looks of it this could regain you the HD-burn feature and should improve media compatability as well (the latest I/O Magic firmware itself should achieve the latter).

Edit: The Optorite firmware may also work directly the flasher it doesn't do a device ID check. DD0402/DD0405 appear to be identical (except for the last byte) and the only feature that DD0405 gained over the DD0402 at launch the latter got with a firmware upgrade. My guess is that the hardware is the same for both modelsl.

Of course flash at your own risk and all that.

If and when you upgrade the drive i'd look for one that is popular among enthusiasts, as community support can significantly add to the value and longlivety of the drive.
that last post worries me:LOL:

radeonic2 said:
that last post worries me:LOL:
The "I tried this, but fucked up my drive" part?

Yeah, I can understan beeing a bit reluctant. That's the great thing about having a popular drive: Lots of guinea pigs to try out stuff before you do, people developing disaster recovery guides, custom firmware, best media databases, power-user tools in abundance...

While all this may be available somewhere for your drive as well, there is a case to be made for leaving well enough alone if it's functional (even if it's not all that great).

Good luck.

Edit: Typos.

Back